Big Hump in New solid wood flooring

if the gap is widening, that suggests the wood is drying and shrinking.

Sponsored Links
if the gap is widening, that suggests the wood is drying and shrinking.

as the gap is in the middle of the hump does this not mean that the wood either side of the gap is expanding - ie pressure which has then caused the hump?

if it is shrinking, the hump has not gone down - or will this take a longer period of time?

thanks

Not good. I also dought the flooring will drop down but if you can answer the below questions we will have more of a idea of the cause and then what you can do to help sort out the issue.

Looking at the pictures it would idicate that the flooring was too dry caused by dehumidifiers.

or

The subfloor has to much moister in it. I cant see any evidence of a surface DPM in the pictures?

or

Flooring was not adhered properly as in glue or maybe the smothing compound used. I cant see consitant glue trowel marks in the pics and looks very bare in some places like it was spot glued?

Without viewing the floor in person its guess work.

Questions for you-

1- how deep and old is the concrete base?

2- How long after base was laid was the room weather proof with working heating?

3- What was the moister readings of the subfloor before laying (RH) and what surface DPM has been installed?

4- What smoothing compound and primer was used?

5- What adhesive was used and trowel? was it spot adhered or fully bonded?

6- What was the moister content of the wood flooring before laying?

7- Can you measure how wide a plank is and tell us along with what the package says the width of the plank should be? (accurate)

Sponsored Links
thanks matysupra for your response. it will take me a while to get the answers to all of these questions.
I will come back to you
happy new year all!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back