levelling combined floors for new wood floor

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Old house. Two front rooms previously knocked in to one. Both concrete floors "level" but one ~15mm lower than the other, so is a region of ~10cm sloping lip at the threshold (to be honest, it's a bit of a hump). Now, I want to put down a machined wood floor down across the whole space - glued down not screwed.
Do I:
(i) pay £200 for 20 bags of self levelling compound to bring the lower floor up to the higher one
(ii) rent a floor grinder to try and make a much more gradual slope between the two thresholds and hope the wood floor sticks down to this bit
(iii) put down 15mm ply across the whole of the lower floor, with a bit of self leveller to fill in the gaps
(iv) your option here!

Any advice, very gratefully accepted….

Sponsored Links
why cant you use some self leveler on the low side and run it out then use the ply over the lot?

cost, that's all. By my reckoning, the option of mostly using ply to bring the lower level up will cost ~£120, but the self leveller will be twice the price. Self leveller then ply on top of all would be £300 all in…..
I guess my question is, is bringing up a floor with ply and gluing a floor down direct on it as "good" as gluing a floor down on cornet/latex. Or could it cause problems in the long run?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back