Is it worth leveling floor before parquet/block flooring

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Just wondering if anyone has actual experience of playing parquet/block flooring,

I have a floor that is 23 foot long and one side is lower than the other side and middle by 1 inch that gradually gets lower from the centre,

Is it worth all the hassle of leveling it or will the block flooring glued down be ok?

Sponsored Links
Its worth it. Depending on the width its only £50 worth of mix and it dries very quickly.

Are you laying it yourself?
I would ask the guy who lays it.
But mine is laid on bitumen -

They generally lay, then sand the whole lot to get a flat surface. note FLAT rather than LEVEL.
So if you can get it level it may help, and mean less sanding.

Is the side low? or the middle high?

You may save £50 on SLC not doing it, but it might cost you more that that in extra sanding belts to get it all level, plus who evers doing it, is going to have to have a damned good eye to overcome the issues.

Come back when you want advice on leveling the floor.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the replies, I dry laid a row of herring bone blocks from the side to the middle and it seemed ok and looked fine..

The side is low, the middle and the other side are level.
the side that is low goes down at a very slow gradient- it's only noticeable with a level.

What sort of issues would I experience if I dont use SLC?-

I bought 1 bag of SLC to fill some minor imperfections and it said it needs primer which is £20- and the SLC is £14 a bag it says 3mm thickness for 4m2, the area is roughly 15m2 starting at an inch thick I can see it costing about £100-£200 which at the moment is a too much.

Does anyone have experience marking out the floor for the parquet?

I was planning on getting one of these glues to glue it down:

https://www.everbuild.co.uk/product/lumberjack-160-woodbond/

https://www.everbuild.co.uk/product/lumberjack-650-floor-adhesive/

Cant see much difference apart one is rapid set.

Wickes acrylic primer is £12.49 and goes a long way. Not sure which SLC you're looking at, but as long as it goes down to 3mm, then you're possibly only looking at about 5 bags, but you always get more than you think you'll need, so the job gets done in 1 go. you'll need spiked shoes, and you can get these off ebay, so I reckon you should be looking at £100 to whack.

But if the middle and one side is okay, and it slopes down towards one side, you'll get a gap in the blocks where it starts to slope.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back