badly laid wood flooring

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Here's a story to warn and a request for advice.

We have had a cowboy install engineered wood flooring in our living room and hallway (a single "L" shaped floor with no doors). The floor was laid with the planks running along the shortest length and was not cut to allow for expansion and as such 2 large humps have developed over the past 2 years.

While at first these were minor and "squished" when walked on, we did not know that the ****wit had also laid about 2cm of levelling compound, of various makes and varying depth underneath this, and made up for the extra unevenness with excessive wood floor adhesive. This was in turn laid on top of existing pvc tiles (which should have been removed as requested) that are bonded to the concrete sub-floor with old style bitumen.

This led to the floor eventually raising up in 2 places, one large long hump in the main room that was +4cm in the centre, and another still squishy in the hallway about 2cm high. The large hump could take the weight of 4 adults without moving. Sounds comical.. anyway we hid it with the sofa.

The problem we have now is after moving the sofa off the hump and relieving the pressure at the 2 farthest ends with careful chiselling, the floor now will not drop flat due to the self levelling compound breaking up and sticking to the copious amounts of rubbery wood floor adhesive under the planks. I looks like it was poured on the floor in big "S" shapes before laying. I wish I was around to see the work being done, but I was away working at the time, and it was all complete and shiny when I got home.

I have started to carefully remove the planks from one end of the floor, in an attempt to expose the damaged levelling compound where the big hump was, but I am finding that they are breaking due to the amount of adhesive holding the tongue and grove solid.

If anyone has some advice or knows anyone in the Swansea area who can fix this urgently then please let me know. In the mantime I am planning to start pulling it all for reclamation, strip the floor (which should be straight forward due to the PVC tile and bitumen layer) and lay cheap laminate for Christmas. In future I will be doing all decorating myself, the perpetrator came recommended and has since done seemingly good work for others we know, but will not return calls or come and fix his mess, and now seems to be generating similar stories elsewhere.

But let this be a lesson to anyone thinking of skimping like this. The materials cost over £2500, the labour 250.

Sponsored Links
If anyone has some advice or knows anyone in the Swansea area who can fix this urgently then please let me know.

The perpetrator came recommended and has since done seemingly good work for others we know.

Why come onto a forum and ask for a tradesman to fix your problem when you won't know them from Adam, your best advice is to go by recommendation, which you did do in the first place. But did you do your home work on the tradesman? checking previous work and speaking to his customers??

If he has done good work for others,.......are you a customer from Hell??

Andy

Thanks man, I was looking for advice not grief.

Merry xmas

If anyone has some advice or knows anyone in the Swansea area who can fix this urgently then please let me know.

The perpetrator came recommended and has since done seemingly good work for others we know.

Why come onto a forum and ask for a tradesman to fix your problem when you won't know them from Adam, your best advice is to go by recommendation, which you did do in the first place. But did you do your home work on the tradesman? checking previous work and speaking to his customers??

Andy

Andy

They used a recommended installer. Problem with wood is that it normally takes months to start failing. Due to this people will recommended a installer as their floor has been spot on for the last 3 months. but it may just fail in the next 6 months?

Best advice would be to get a fitter that is approved by a association like the BWFA (British wood flooring association)

As for the floor in question. Sadly it sounds scrap.

Sponsored Links
Why not try getting (some of ) your money back via the Small claims Court since he is still trading or alternatively go to Trading Standards and get theirn advice.

Don't take me wrong here, but accepting a price of £250.00 for one l-shaped room and hallway on labour, you're bound to have found a cowboy.

Like you say: "let this be a lesson to anyone thinking of skimping like this"

Don't take me wrong here, but accepting a price of £250.00 for one l-shaped room and hallway on labour, you're bound to have found a cowboy.

Ye £250 sounds cheap but if the chap said he wanted £500 quid the same issues would be there. I know a lot of good installers at moment with lack of work and working for peanuts. Shame as there are cowboys out there taking there work.

All comes down to checking people out, ask them for qualifications, certificates to show they attend training to keep up to date, are they with a association?

Ye £250 sounds cheap but if the chap said he wanted £500 quid the same issues would be there. I know a lot of good installers at moment with lack of work and working for peanuts. Shame as there are cowboys out there taking there work.
Now you're on to something that plays right into the arms of cowboys: professionals, who would know how to tackle the above problems, charging peanuts and then blaming cowboys are taking their work.

Never lower your standards and charge what you are worth.

Now you're on to something that plays right into the arms of cowboys: professionals, who would know how to tackle the above problems, charging peanuts and then blaming cowboys are taking their work.

Never lower your standards and charge what you are worth.

RRR - resist rate reduction. I wish it always worked that way but well said. I'm self employed myself and am currently on the worst rate I've ever worked for. It's tempting to go get a real job again.

I paid a waste disposal guy this week about that much to help rip up the floor, and tip it (lawfully). I've discovered what I think was the reason for the low price. The work was done slapped on the end of other works including reversing a stairway in the room and taking up old damaged floor tiles near the front door. I was going to lay the floor myself but as he offered to do it for me, I accepted so I could get some more time in my day job before Christmas. It turns out he hadn't removed the tiles and levelled the floor as requested, they are still there. I can only assume that taking 250 for a day's work enabled him to hide the fact he hadn't done as asked.

Now here's a strange thing.. we found cardboard pieces up to about half a metre square on top of the adhesive in some areas as if they were used to step on after pouring to lay the wood. Anyone heard of that? For a fixed floor it's obviously not normal, as it prevents the adhesive from fixing the floor???

Time to nurse my bruised knuckles, and unfold my spine. Thanks to all for constructive comments.

Why not try getting (some of ) your money back via the Small claims Court since he is still trading or alternatively go to Trading Standards and get theirn advice.

I am considering contacting the others I mentioned who had problems with his work to pool our resources and approach trading standards but it's unlikely we will get our money back even after obtaining court backing. After all charging 250 for a days work for 2 people doesn't leave much for beer money let alone savings/business assets to seize.

As a self employed person yourself, i think you had a good idea that £250 was extremely cheap labour. You get what you pay for !!

As a self employed person yourself, i think you had a good idea that £250 was extremely cheap labour. You get what you pay for !!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back