big upgrade to main room lighting

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm in the process of adding six downlights to a livingroom but am hitting on the idea of having them individually controlled via a six gang switch.

Theres just a single ceiling rose in the middle of the room and the new lights are going nearer the walls. Is it best to spur off the ring and send the power up via the switch or should i connect a heap of ceiling rose jb's together -

I'm only using CFL gu10's but someone in future may replace the lot with 100w' bulbs.
thanks for any input on what the regs may say,
b.

Sponsored Links
best to keep lights on the lighting circuit unless you anticipate overloading. For the downlighters I would allow 50W each as that is the largest bulb likely to be fitted in a fitting of that style.

I would take all your wiring via the switch and use a 35mm backbox so there is plenty of room for the terminal blocks joining the neutrals and earths. Remember to earth the backbox.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back