Bigger loft hatch

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi! I would like to mak my loft hatch door bigger.My house i a 2 bedroom semi and was built in the mid-1930's. The current hatch is only 18 wide or so and it's a really tight squeeze to get up there! The loft joists are 5x2's but the hatch is near the end of the house, where the roof slopes on three sides around you. Is that a problem? I will post pictures if needed (if I can work out how to post them!)

Thanks in advance for any advice!

Shaun

Sponsored Links
Just cut the hole to the next joist and screw a frame around the opening. Screw into the unsupported joists throught the frame you put up.
Then all you need to do is make a hinged door for it. :)

Thanks for that - I'm just a bit nervy about cutting the joist because:-
a) it's a big piece of timber (5x2)
b) the other end of it is nailed/secured to one of the (sorry I don't know what they are called) sloping timbers that form the side of the roof. There is no wall below that end either, it just 'hangs' there on two nails - nothing else!

Whoa m8..at least put a few noggins in before u cut that joist ! A noggin is a short piece of wood ( usually 2x4 for joist ) but can be bigger and they go before the cut to brace that joist with the next one to stop any movement....cos basically u dont want any ! then cut out the joist and enlarge the hole to the joists on either side...and using 4x1 or 6x1 measure and cut ur side pieces to go against side joists and then measure and cut ends screw together..slot into hole and screw into sidejoists and the joist youve cut which should be in the middleof the frame ends..
i know this sounds complicted but visualise it in your head first lol...

Sponsored Links
mondyman said:
Whoa m8..at least put a few noggins in before u cut that joist !

Oh yes, don't worry I was going to do that anyway, I'll be fastening a large batten across three joists... a couple of extra noggins won't hurt either will they? I'll be cutting the middle one only when I'm absolutely sure it won't move!! Have you even seen a joist suspended at one end by only two nails? There is no wall below that joist end as the roof slope continues down another couple of feet, into the the landing area, before it meets the end wall. Maybe I should post a picture.

Thanks for the advice though, much appreciated!

Shaun

OK, here's a couple of pictures. You can see the larger hole I have made, as well as the joist that needs to be cut. The other picture shows the slope of the ceiling above the landing (& cracked emulsion!). The exposed joist you see fastens to one of the rails that you see holding the slates/roof.

sloping.JPG

Largerhole.JPG

Thanks,

Shaun

Can you do a photo from the top so we can see the ceiling joists?

Well I've done it! I fastened a batten over the exposed joist in the pic (only on the end that is nailed to the sloping ceiling). The other side was fine, as it is right above a wall, and never moved a mm while I was cutting. I was just worried about the nailed-on end, but all was fine in the end. I'll build the new doorframe in tomorrow to tidy things up. Then it's time to skim the ceiling! ;)

Thanks everyone for your help, patience and interest!

ATB,

Shaun

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back