Bill for new flat roofs. Excessive?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Just had the bill for my new flat roofs, both garage and extension. Roofs around 4M by 3M each.

Came in at £4,500 inc VAT. I'm in the London area.

Three layer felt with lead flashing. Part of a joist had to be replaced in one roof, along with one board and fascia. On the other roof, all new boards plus timber firings to create a pitch.

This was more than the original quote. but it was explained that there would be an increase in price, due to the rot that was found under the old felt. It was also more than my neighbour paid the same company nearly two years ago, however I do understand that building materials have gone up.

Pleased with the work overall, but the bill is still higher than expected. Any thoughts, much appreciated.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
I does seem expensive. A few years back I had a roofer come on a Sunday to repair a leaking flat roof that a cowboy builder installed - new felt, flashings fitted, about 3x3m, was £400. Seemed a lot at the time! Was about 7 years ago in Essex.

I does seem expensive. A few years back I had a roofer come on a Sunday to repair a leaking flat roof that a cowboy builder installed - new felt, flashings fitted, about 3x3m, was £400. Seemed a lot at the time! Was about 7 years ago in Essex.

I can guarantee that isn't done right if it was only 400.....

Sponsored Links
Maybe just a repair then. Was certainly better than that was there before.

Lol

That’s okay. Materials prices gone up 70% in the last 18months. We’re putting 30 days expiry on all our quotes now. Used to be 12 months!!!

Wow, that's quite an increase in materials.

Last edited:
the original price question. thats a very low price for anywhere never mind in London itself - two grand for a complete flat roof is very cheap.

About the materials cost, whose making all the extra money. same crew of rich people who always profit and possibly started the big time rise in costs. anyone hear of wages going up 75% or 100% in the last year or so?

Surely you had a quote for the original work, so the only question should be whether the cost of the additional work is excessive? But you have not itemised the cost of this, so who knows?

And presumably you did not write a blank cheque, but got either a firm quote for the additional work or an estimate of the cost before you gave the go ahead? That way, when the final bill comes in you know what it will be as you've already agreed it.

What should happen, is when you get a quote for any building work, you also agree a way that any additional works will be priced. That way you are not held to ransom when someone rips off the roof for a quote of £1k and then charges you an extra £5k to replace a joist.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back