Birds in roof

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have blue tits trying to make a nest in the roof. There is a massive gap which I have blocked up for now.

IMG_1232.jpegIMG_1229.jpeg

The rows of nails looks suspicious. Normally there is one or two nails near the top of the slate whereas here it looks like someone has tried to close the gap by nailing the slates down along the edge?

What's the best way to fix this?

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
They are waking us up at 4am. If they didn't make such a racket we'd never have noticed them. There are plenty of other nesting spots around the house.

Sponsored Links
Yes, I have blocked up the roof hole and they have nested elsewhere. I live in the countryside so there's no need for them to nest inside asbestos roofs.

Never seen a section of roof lift up like that. I'll try taking the tiles off and putting them back again to see if they settle correctly.

The tiles won't sit flat because extra bits of batten have been nailed on top of the purlins. This may have been done to install the weird gutter made out of lead. I'll try removing them but it will require removing quite a few tiles and rain is due.

IMG_1235.jpeg

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back