Birds mouth seat cut overhang

Sponsored Links
Yeah it’s the depth of the cut that’s important, you’ll always get that on shallower pitches

You correctly have the 2/3 HAP height above plate. BCO wont mind.
The ceiling plasterboard will cover what you see as an issue.

If you are a DIY'er then well done for taking on a bit of roof cutting.

Sponsored Links
What size plate is on there now? I personally don't like to see any seat cut unsupported.
Is a 4x2 wall plate. I don't particularly like it but the space I have for the pitch below first floor window means that anything I can get is needed. Can't really make the wall lower as I have a 2.1m high bifold with a lintol above which is a block high and then the wall plate on top of that.
I'm thinking of adding some small hangers to the plate just to support the bottom of that unsupported but of rafter but I will take pics when I start.

Why didn't you put the plate lower?

Or use smaller rafters?
Couldn't put the plate lower as it sits on top of the large lintel which supports a standard height door of 2100. Architect recons on drawings that I should be able to get a 16 degree pitch but now I'm actually doing it - no chance. I have about 30mm above the tiles to under the window to put lead in.

The thing is, whatever you're notching out of those rafters is reducing the effective rafter depth, so you may as well use smaller section sizes, and may well need to space them closer together too.

If you had used/designer specified a different lintel style then the plate could have gone lower. But sounds like he was crap anyway if his drawings don't work out properly.

What's so important about the 16° pitch?

The thing is, whatever you're notching out of those rafters is reducing the effective rafter depth, so you may as well use smaller section sizes, and may well need to space them closer together too.

If you had used/designer specified a different lintel style then the plate could have gone lower. But sounds like he was crap anyway if his drawings don't work out properly.

What's so important about the 16° pitch?
I hear exactly what your saying although don't agree about the smaller rafters. There will be more strength in these than using smaller rafters just not a lot. I did look for a different lintel but they all seemed to be same depth. I'm thinking uf adding hangers under the notched item to support the unsupported wood

The effective section depth of a rafter is whatever you have cut it to at the wall plate - which is the bearing where the load is. You've reduced that rafter by what looks like 50mm, so it's performing as a smaller rafter.

Is there a hanger designed for that scenario? I don't think there is. If not then there is no point.

Strictly, you would need to gusset the area to deal with the additional stress at that point.

The effective section depth of a rafter is whatever you have cut it to at the wall plate - which is the bearing where the load is. You've reduced that rafter by what looks like 50mm, so it's performing as a smaller rafter.

Is there a hanger designed for that scenario? I don't think there is. If not then there is no point.

Strictly, you would need to gusset the area to deal with the additional stress at that point.
thanks for info woody. Do you have any details of what you mean by gusset in this scenario or somthing similar? Thanks for help

Google for gusset plate.

Basically a sheet of ply fixed either side of the rafter. Probably about 400mm long.

But that's only if the rafter is over spanned due to the reduced thickness at the bearing. Reducing the rafter spacing will have the same effect as it reduces the load on each individual rafter.

You've reduced that rafter by what looks like 50mm, so it's performing as a smaller rafter.

Is it really that simple? Isn't it about shear strength at the end, versus overall deflection, and the notch is only going to affect the shear?

What's the span on the rafters, ann20?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back