Birds mouth seat cut overhang

Is it really that simple? Isn't it about shear strength at the end, versus overall deflection, and the notch is only going to affect the shear?

What's the span on the rafters, ann20?

Yes I agree that it isn't as simple as what Woody says. The span extension is 3.4 meters so rafter length is about 3.5...

Sponsored Links
So looking at some tables it would seem that my span of 3.4 meters only requires a 150 rafter at 400 ctrs and I am using 197 rafters at 400 ctrs so cutting 50mm out as I have should be fine from what I can see.

Is it really that simple? Isn't it about shear strength at the end, versus overall deflection, and the notch is only going to affect the shear?

What's the span on the rafters, ann20?
Yes it's that simple.

A given section will have certain performance for the typical forces at the bearings (shear) and along its length (bending, deflection, buckling). If you make the beam section less by cutting it, then you alter the performance characteristic.

Whether it makes a difference or not is another matter and needs to be checked, but the concept is that you don't just go cutting timber willy nilly.

Yes it's that simple.

A given section will have certain performance for the typical forces at the bearings (shear) and along its length (bending, deflection, buckling). If you make the beam section less by cutting it, then you alter the performance characteristic.

Whether it makes a difference or not is another matter and needs to be checked, but the concept is that you don't just go cutting timber willy nilly.
So not actually that simple then!! Haha

Thanks for help woody. I am going to plough on through. I don't beleive I have any issues with what I intend to do after speaking to a few different sources.

Sponsored Links
Yes it's that simple.

I was thinking.... Many people seem to secure the top of their rafters on a lean to roof to the header plate with 4 nails (two each side). This fixing method must have the same effect as my cut that I'm talking about as the nails do not pick up the bottom of the wood. I will be using hangers (which will need a small notch taken out of wood to work).

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back