Bit of a mess

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
This is the main intake to a site we have started doing some work on.

We are having to work with this install for the immediate future until a huge revamp next year. Had to add a submain, and have had to isolated circuits etc etc.

Shocking.

2005546806766961347_rs.jpg

2005577957406864769_rs.jpg

2005518530461898205_rs.jpg

Sponsored Links
The thing that stands out to me is that huge SWA terminated to a PLASTIC box. And badly fed to it too. :rolleyes:

Dont tell me, thats your submain :LOL:

I cant make head nor tail of it.

You know me better than that!

The whole lot is such a mess - a disgrace.

I can't believe some one actually happily installed it!

It was a 250amp supply - It has been fused down to 100amp now, as it is all done with 25 tails and 100amp henleys!

The SWA is a 95 4c, fed via an MCCB with earth shunt trip on it, set at 500mA for a TT submain. The submain didn't even need to be TT.

There is also some 10mm pyro is you look closey - fused at 60amp (fine), but earthed with a bonding clamp, and the length of the run is around 60m, feeding a terrace of 6 holiday cottages - all of which have cooker points (luckily gas cookers currently), and all have crappy old 6kw showers!

It is lucky the loading is not too high currently.

Sponsored Links
Looks like there's been a bit of DIY by the site 'handyman' there ;)

The trouble is that you can arrive to do a small job there that involves work at the mains and you are faced with that nightmare.How far do you go if the customer will not pay your time for putting right/tidying up.
Even worse if you know you can tidy it up in the future, but have to put your name to it now :(

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back