Testing back to origin on large installs

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Done a job at a large industrial site. Installed two fans (2A FLC) and two starters for them off an existing 3Ph DB which had a spare way.

In the past I had always been under the impression that the EIC should have test results for every submain and sub board right back to the origin. Well on this job, that is simply not possible because the board we connected into is on about 3 Submains, fed from a switch fuse and busbar chamber.

We are simply not going to be able to shut down the entire plant to take these readings and take a Ze at the origin. I know the Ze could be noted from enquiry and put on the EIC, but what would you do in this situation? Is it OK to just have the new circuit we installed and the details of the origin, and note this on the EIC?

Sponsored Links
We are simply not going to be able to shut down the entire plant to take these readings and take a Ze at the origin. I know the Ze could be noted from enquiry and put on the EIC, but what would you do in this situation? Is it OK to just have the new circuit we installed and the details of the origin, and note this on the EIC?
I'm sure that far more appropriate others than myself will give you a 'bureaucratic' answer but, in common sense terms, isn't it the ('overall') Zs of your new circuit which really matters, regardless of Ze or or what is going on in the various submains?

Kind Regards, John

I'm sure that far more appropriate others than myself will give you a 'bureaucratic' answer but, in common sense terms, isn't it the ('overall') Zs of your new circuit which really matters, regardless of Ze or or what is going on in the various submains?

Kind Regards, John

Thats exactly what I thought. I think a bit of common sense needs to come in on a job like this. If the original installation looks old, bodged or damaged then obviously a more thourgha test is required. If it all looks in good condition then I think I will just put it as a limitation.

Sponsored Links
They ought to do their own testing as part of an on going maintenance regime, just LIM it.
I too come across plants where there is no (safe) way of powering off to do a Ze test.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back