Bit of an odd one....

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
So..... this is an odd one really. My neighbour is a vile piece of....... whatever. She's into everyone's business, complains all the time about anything and everything..... long story, but just a bit of context. Anyway, 2 weeks ago, some suveyors were on ethe strete probably water company, but not sure. Anyway, they've made various measurements and marked areas of the footpaths and roads with number, arrows, crosses etc, using the usual white spray paint. The Witch next door got up at 6 am the morning after aand immediately painted over the numbers and lines that were on the footpath outside her house - she's a prat. Thing is, she's used black paint that has dried really shiny and it's like ice to walk on - which I discovered at my peril. I was walking along said footpath this morning, stepped on the paint, slipped over, landed on my elbow and its likely I've fractured it - will know for certain within the next hour or two.

Just after peoples opinions really. Is she at fault? She's basically made the public footpath unsafe and ive come a cropper on it.

Sponsored Links
Sorry to hear you have hurt yourself and I hope your get better soon.

In terms of opinions based on what you said I should say 90% her contribution, 1% the water company and 5% your contribution.

In terms of liability I would recommend reporting to the council and if you want to take it further look into what insurance /legal cover you have either through work or home. If you're going to need physio and loose earnings it becomes more important.

Good luck

Thanks John. Don't really think its the uutility company at fault - I assume they have authorisation from the council and the paint they used was fine. She couldn't stand the fact that there was a white cross painted outside her house on the footpath and so she's been out and painted over it with a massive solid patch of black gloss paint that is really really slippy - even when it's dry.

My 2 year old daughter slipped on it this morning too when she was walking to nursery with the Mrs, luckily not hurt, just upset and wet

It's a public footpath. Take photos of where you slipped, report the accident etc to your council (not sure which section, highways or environmental health- maybe phone them and ask). They can/should take it from there. If they ask you who put the black paint down, tell them.

Sponsored Links
You need to report this in the first instance to the Council who are the Highways Authority responsible for the path. They may decide to prosecute or reclaim any costs for making the path safe, under their powers.

You then can then take advice on who to sue for any injury and loss. But the important thing would be to get the Council to record and evidence the situation.

As Woody has said .. report it to the Highways Department at you local council,

Make it an urgent matter to prevent other people fallling and being injured due to the paint.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back