bit_torrents

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have seen something I would like to download. It's on a bit-torrent site. I gather that this form of downloading stuff isn't entirely legal. Apart from that, are there any/many security issues with downloading material in this way?

Sponsored Links
As with downloading anything from the internet, especially from an unknown source you run the risk of getting your PC infected with malware, viruses etc.

Of course if you have an apple mac no problem with a virus .If you are after films you can get many from quicksilverscreendotcom which are straightforward downloads , no torrents involved and much quicker.

A bit torrent is just a way of downloading. It's not more dangerous than any other way, and there's nothing remotely illegal about it.

It just so happens, by accident, that it is harder than normal to trace where a bit torrent file has come from. This makes the mechanism attractive to people doing dodgy things, so it now has a reputation as being illegal. That's a pity, because it's a technically rather clever system that could be used more. Still, bit late now.

If you have remotely decent anti-virus, and a brain, and some common sense, you won't get stung downloading things, over bit torrent or any other way.

Free, good, anti-virus software: http://free.grisoft.com/doc/5390/us/frt/0?prd=aff

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the replies. RE: anti-virus, I'm running AVG. The bit about the brain and the common sense worries me though. Thanks again.

Micro torrent, aka utorrent is a small/efficient bit torrent program that I have used from time to time:

http://www.utorrent.com/

Another issue with bit torrent though is that most of the search engines that you find, will show p0rn related adverts of some description! Careful if you have kids/inlaws about. :oops:

Please make sure you antivirus is up to date too.

Of course if you have an apple mac no problem with a virus

NOT correct.... Apple viruses started or came to light in 2006... and theres been a few more since then.... its far to common for people to asume having a apple mac means you wont get infected with any kind of virus etc....

Agreed about apple mac viruses, i've seen malware on several of the apples i service now.

I personally do not use bittorrent anymore, nor any P2P services, it is extremely easy to trace who is downloading a particular file. A simple "netstat" when you are downloading will show you the IP's of all other users downloading the same file, the RIAA has used this method in the past to subpoena ISP's for their users personal details (succesfuly)

Matt

Malware is not a virus as it requires operator input and normally at admin level.

Traditionally, most viruses have required operator input to spread, clicking on .exe .vbs files etc.

Worms are one of the only class of viruses that spread on their own (using TCP for example)

As for requiring "admin level", yes because Windows machines have always traditionally being used my the masses with administritive rights, so virus writers target these for ease.

With times changing, and things like UAC coming in, writers are turning their attention to other exploits such as holes left open by third party apps, like in the mac.

Nitpicking!

Its like saying that aids isnt a virus, because it requires operator input!

I personally do not use bittorrent anymore, nor any P2P services, it is extremely easy to trace who is downloading a particular file. A simple "netstat" when you are downloading will show you the IP's of all other users downloading the same file, the RIAA has used this method in the past to subpoena ISP's for their users personal details (succesfuly)

Matt

use peer guardian if using bit torrent, blocks a lot of the ip addresses that the RIAA use

Bittorrent is harder to track for copyrighted material if you use it in moderation, or from an area that's difficult to enforce copyright law in. An ISP is more likely to flag your IP for capping if it sees you sucking down gobs of bandwidth via downloading. Flagged IPs are often checked further for what they download, which triggers RIAA scare tactics.

But to answer your question, Bittorrent is a P2P file distribution method. It in itself is not illegal. It works by placing a "torrent" file onto your computer and assembling it into the completed file via downloaded pieces from "seeders" (people who have the complete file) and "leechers" (people downloading the file in addition to you). The more faster seeders, the more quickly the file downloads. The torrent file serves as a placeholder, so downloading a torrent file often apportions the space in your harddrive for the requested file.

To download torrents you'll need a torrent program (I use Azureus) and a tracker (your torrent site). Download the torrent file (it's often just a few kb) and use your torrent program to open it. The rest should come naturally.

Security risks depend on the torrent being downloaded and the tracker. I don't believe using bittorrent makes it any less secure than any other P2P system, but of course you should watch whatever content you download. I know that torrents can sometimes cause anti-virus programs to flag them as insecure, but this is usually due to them being oversensitive.

I have seen something I would like to download. It's on a bit-torrent site. I gather that this form of downloading stuff isn't entirely legal. Apart from that, are there any/many security issues with downloading material in this way?

WARNING!!!

I used to use torrents a lot until a friend in CID told me about this:
Apparently people are inserting kiddie p*rn in to sections of files (movies).
When you download a torrent, you are also uploading some sections - distributing the file as well.

As you don't really know what you have downloaded until you have the complete file, you could unwittingly be distributing illegal material.

Unless you know exactly the source and content of torrents it's not worth the risk.

Far better (and faster) to use something like rapid share.

Sponsored Links
Back