1. Visiting from the US? Why not try DIYnot.US instead? Click here to continue to DIYnot.US.
    Dismiss Notice

Bitdefender Query

Discussion in 'Software' started by securespark, 7 Mar 2019.

1. securespark

securespark

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    I use DDG. My boys always say, "Oh Dad, what are you using DDG for, it's rubbish. Use Google instead!"

I did go through a phase of using Linux Mint (which was distinctly XP-ish) and Ubuntu, but I found them very frustrating because they wouldn't play audio and video files with installing a load of plug-ins. They may well be more user-friendly these days, but to sort my issues out, I had to install chunks of code here and there. Not straight-forward at all!

2. fiskrond

fiskrond

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    My initial experience with Linux was equally fraught.. but that was a few years ago... recent attempts have been remarkably less so, actually, from experimenting on an old PC (Pentium4 era) I am now dual booting on my main 'puter .. :)

I installed it on one of my old experimental PCs which can only take 1Mb RAM.. automatically found all drivers for mobo, printer, etc... absolute doddle, played about with it for a week or two, installed it as dual boot on main PC.. :)

I'm still a long way off being a Linux fanboy... but I am seeing a viable alternative to Microshaft for 'when the time comes'...

Last edited: 13 Mar 2019
  3. empip

empip

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    StartPage.com is a pretty decent search engine - utilises Google but strips your info from queries.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Startpage.com

-0-

4. Neil Henry

Neil Henry

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    How did this go from a Phishing trojan to a discussion on operating systems lol

Try a quick look at Virustotal.com and send the offending file there and you have about 60 working virus scanners which will check it.

Could also be a false positive as bitdefender has been known to do this in the past.

And never ever open a .exe file sent to you by anyone via email.

I use Windows 7 and Ubuntu 19 which I recently upgraded to from Ubuntu 16