Bitumen paint under slate floor?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

We have an old Cornish cottage that was built around 1860. The dining room is one of the older parts of the house and it currently has a concrete floor.

The floor always feels damp and the rug that we have put down has ended up mouldy underneath.

We can now afford to put slate floor tiles down, but just wondered if we needed to do something else underneath such as paint the concrete with bitumen paint to stop the damp coming up through?

Any suggestions gratefully received!

Sponsored Links
Don’t use bitumen, the slate tiles & little else will stick to it, use a waterproof Self Levelling Compound & tile over that; follow the instructions for laying the SLC.

Tiling isn’t rocket science but there are still many things that can catch you out. I would advise you read the Tiling Sticky & Tiling Forum Archive posts before doing any work or buying materials, it could prevent you making disastrous & potentially expensive mistakes. It’s important to use only quality trade tilling materials of the correct type for your tiles & tile base; cheapo own brand & DIY stuff is mostly crap. If you need further guidance post the tiling forum.

Thanks for your help. I have laid a slate floor previously so I'm happy with that. I will look for a SLC.

Cheers

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back