Bizzare fault(s)

I like those MK sockets. It's a shame they don't do an FCU to match. :cry:

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
It seems a cost cutting exercise ended up with the RCD mechanism being used to operate the ON-OFF switch function as well as the safety isolation function thus saving the cost of building in a robust switch for the ON-OFF function.

The RCD mechanism has to be light weight almost flimsy construction to reduce weight and inertia of moving parts in order that it can operate rapidly when earth leakage occurs. Operated frequently as the ON-OFF function that mechanism may have worn out and the contact pressure reduced leading to overheating contacts.

I'm not qualified or anything but have an electronics / engineering background and just have to wonder why this thing has to have electronics in it at all. It just seems asking for trouble having an IC / inductor etc in there... anyone got a schematic of the thing so we could have an idea what failed and why?

If I understand you correctly -

It is a Residual Current Circuit Breaker which detects a current imbalance between the line and neutral conductors (RC) passing through it because of a fault to earth by any path and disconnects the supply.

Not an expert but I don't think the electronics are too sophisticated.

This is a diagram for a stand-alone RCCB whereas in the thread it is built into an accessory.

rcd.gif

Yep thanks for that, that's how I had one of these devices pictured in my head... not sure what the now burned out RCCB adds except for unnecessary complexity? Safety devices which 'catch fire' are just great aren't they?

BTW you can see an 6 pin DIL IC in the circuit and a few other components in that 'RCCB'.

I believe they have electronics in them to allow the package to be as small as possible (and sometimes for other functions such as voltage detection).

Yep thanks for that, that's how I had one of these devices pictured in my head... not sure what the now burned out RCCB adds except for unnecessary complexity? Safety devices which 'catch fire' are just great aren't they?

BTW you can see an 6 pin DIL IC in the circuit and a few other components in that 'RCCB'.

That's not a DIL, that's an SOIC, and it's quite clearly 8 pins. And you have no way of knowing what's inside it without reading the markings, so don't assume it's some complex circuit which you think is prone to failure.

If someone would like to spare one for investigation (RF, you still have the toasty one?), I'd be happy to see just what they're doing.

That's why you cannot megger them safely, otherwise you can fry the electronics inside them! A warning sticker is supplied with these units, which should be stuck near the main switch of the installation, warning about disconnecting the RCD sockets before meggering the installations.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back