black alkathene pipe and concrete question

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am about to fill in the hole in my kitchen floor, around the black alkathene pipe that is my main water input

Can anyone confirm if i can just concrete straight around it please, or is there any sort of tape wrap i should use to prevent any chemical reaction

TIA

Sponsored Links
So there's no need to put any tape or any ducting around the Alkathene pipe either ?

Sponsored Links
Tape or ducting is another question.
1. You don't need any tape.
2. If the alkathene is your incoming water main, it should be buried outside the property to a specific depth (more than 750mm, less than 1350mm from memory). Where it then comes inside the property it should be ducted and insulated in accordance with the water regulations.
3. If the part you are going to concrete around is within the thermal envelope of the building, you should be able to get away with doing nothing.
4. If there is a risk of it freezing, you ought to insulate it within a duct.

Thanks oldbuffer and yes it's purely filling the hole i made in the kitchen floor to give me room to move the pipe around so based on the info you have shared, i will just make good the hole with concrete

Thanks again ! (y)

Thanks oldbuffer and yes it's purely filling the hole i made in the kitchen floor to give me room to move the pipe around so based on the info you have shared, i will just make good the hole with concrete

Thanks again ! (y)

Can't hurt to wrap it in something if it gives you a bit of reassurance... Hessian lagging or cloth/duct tape would be good as anything (y)

I'd be inclined to use the foam pipe lagging, it will absorb any expansion or slight settlement, as well as giving heat insulation.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back