Black Gloss Paint - lots of it ?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Bit out of my league here so thought I'd ask the question.

I need to buy a lot of Black Gloss and a corresponding undercoat to paint the outside woodwork of the school I work at. Whats the best way to go about it and where can you recommend buying paint in bulk in the most cost effective manner?

Cheers

Sponsored Links
What quantity are you looking at ? You will need a good quality dark grey undercoat for the gloss. I wouldnt use water based in my opinion.

I wouldn't have a clue yet how much I'll need... all the eaves and barge boards are the worst but every window and external door will need repainting (guessing at 60 windows). real newb reply I know, sorry :(

Why did someone paint that much black on woodwork outside - worst colour - the wood bakes under the paint and paint`s life is shortened . As you`ve got to undercoat anyway , change the colour - maybe dark blue if it`s a private or grammar school ;)

Sponsored Links
Why is someone unqualified doing a job that size? :confused:

Wouldn't say unqualified, only experience of painting is general house decorating, not in this scale.

Thanks for the comment in the black paint causing issues, I will check on the colours as its grade 2 listed, not sure what scope we have in the lease

Why is someone unqualified doing a job that size? :confused:

Didn't read that properly . . . . Why, comes down to cost! Independant charity school, last time it was done by previous tenants it cost almost £10k, were a year away from needing to do it but eaves are in dire need of attention so kill two birds with one stone and get it all painted. I would love to get a team in to do it but we simply dont have the funding to have it done so it falls on me as Estate Manager. Will need a cherry picker for the majority of the work which alone will cost us £1400 for the time we need it, I'm still is license with my IPAF so again, saving money if I do it.

I cannot see why English Heritage or whoever is in charge of the listings should object to white wood window frames on a school building.

How old is the building? When was it built exactly?

I'm not considering English Heritage but more the large estate the building belongs to. I doubt very much there would be an issue, I had not considered changing colours originally due to every external fitting etc being a matching black....since the post saying why black is a bad colour I am going to put that to the directors of the school.

The building is in three parts, late 1600 's for the old house then tŵo sections built early and mid 1800's. used in the 80's as a HQ for a construction company, which is maybe where the black came from

I agree with Pigeon, but you do need to check with the listing authority - even if it is only Grade II listed, they are often empowered to dictate colours for exterior work. Avoid an expensive mistake and run any colour change past them first. Ring your local council to check the name of the person you need to contact.

If its listed don't change it. Ringing up your local listed buildings officer could open up a can of worms. He won't just be looking at your paint, he'll be scanning a beady eye over everything, and he might not like what he see's. If its black now re-paint it black.

Have you had a price for scaffolding? could be cheaper than a cherry picker, i would also advise you to check roof, guttering, brickwork etc while you have the access available to you. Paint wise i'd go with sikkens XD.

Are you sure its just a paint job that's needed? If the soffits etc are going then it might be a much bigger job, involving curing rot, filling, etc etc.

Good luck anyway

Are you sure its just a paint job that's needed? If the soffits etc are going then it might be a much bigger job, involving curing rot, filling, etc etc.

Good luck anyway

From what I can see peering out of windows I'm half expecting to have a fair bit of remedial work once I can get to there, my background before I sold my soul to an audio visual trade was that of carpentry and joinery with my old mans building firm, the woodwork is covered.

With regards to cherry picker over scaffolding, it may well come to that if I can argue the case of restricting access to the kids once its up.

Or suggest the entire school has a week's p & d work experience and helps you get it all done in two shakes!

Perhaps not.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back