Black mortar???

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm sure there's an easy answer to this. I'll be ready to point up my patio next week and I've read that the best thing to use is 'black' mortar. Sorry, but how do you make it black? And what should the mix be?

Sponsored Links
as suggested readily available colouriser or dye.. your local travis will have it on the shelf 5 to 1 sand to cement should be good, a little sprinkle of the magic powder and a drop of water..

say the spell correctly and elves will appear, do the job in two shakes and make you a cup of tea in the process...
:LOL:

enjoy your weekend !

Black mortar is supposed to enhance the look, Hmmmm, use it only if you are happy with the contrast.

Be careful you do not let the dye get on the edges of your slabs/stone..... :cry:

Sponsored Links
Thanks Guys

I got the 5:1 thing, but what sort of sand should be used for pointing? And should it be quite dryish?

Cheers

beware using any colour additives. the solidness and longevity of any enhanced mortar is questionable.

also, adding to the paving or repairing in a few seasons time may give you a headache, when trying to colour match.

i subscribe to using locally available building sand products and enjoying the contrast between masonry and mortar. ;)

Sharp sand!

yes dry. just wet enough to make sand castles with but no wetter

you should be able to form sausage shapes in your hand but you dont want it any wetter than that

i always prefer building sand for pointing, much better finish

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back