Black mould( PLEASE HELP)

I can see that warm moist air will flow upwards into the loft

but it will surely be replaced by more warm moist air from the room.

you need to get cold dry air into that cupboard.

have you thought about reducing the humidity in the room?

The cold dry air will come in from the ceiling vent wnt it?isn't the ceiling vent the same idea as an air brick then as its allowing the air from outside into the cupboard etc????Shell i close the other vents jst have ceiling vents?

No not thought of that .How do i do that??

Shell i do the vents in ceiling?? If so how many in a cupboard will 1 8inch+ 15 inch approx do?

Or wot about battoning and insulting the walls then moisture res mdf on top or plaster board?? would that sort the prob??

Sponsored Links
Is it me? I thought we had covered this!

Just re-establish the ventilation you have covered up! If there is increased humidity in the room then ventilation has to be increased in line with that. It ain't rocket science.

Just re-establish the ventilation you have covered up! If there is increased humidity in the room then ventilation has to be increased in line with that. It ain't rocket science.
not coverd any up.Thanks you sound a nice person !!!!

Sponsored Links

not coverd any up.Thanks you sound a nice person !!!!
Perhaps you missed my replies to your questions?
I'm not sure I've got this straight...

You have built cupboards in two of the corners of the bedroom - OK.

They have 'one Air Vent in each' - I assume you mean the WALLS leading to outside have vents in?

You 'leave the door open' - What door? The cupboard door? The bedroom door?

You get 'black mould on the outside walls in cupboard' - I'm lost on that one. Where exactly is the mould? On the actual brick wall? Inside the cupboard? On the outside of the cupboard?

It sounds like a ventilation problem but we need you to clarify the points above and answer some questions below. Essentially, have you blocked or hindered the ventilation bricks in the walls? If so your problem with the mould will persist until you provide adequate ventilation. Have you 'butted' these cupboards right up to the wall? Have you tried to extend the ventilation by installing a vent in the bottom/side of the cupboards? Do these cupboards go from the floor up, ie like a wardrobe? Opening the window may help but it's cold at the moment so I doubt you'll be wanting to have that open through the night. Which, if you are an average sleeper, is when you and possibly a partner, will spend approximately 8 hours exhaling warm moist air into a room that, if I my assumptions are correct, has inadequate ventilation. The warm moist air you breath out is struggling to get outside. It hits the cool air that is struggling to get inside and so condensation forms around that area, which in turn leads to damp conditions, which in turn can lead to mould.

However, as I have already pointed out above, I may have misunderstood your description and so there may be other factors effecting this.

We need you to be more descriptive. Particularly, if you could address the points/questions above.
we also have a dehumidifire in the room.

Would more vents in the bottom and sides do the trick??
The dehumidifier can only do so much. As I said, you are expelling 'warm air' all night long. As JohnD has stated above and foxhole makes reference to, you need 'more' ventilation than you currently have. If the cupboard is blocking this ventilation then the problem will never go away until you re-establish ventilation. As JohnD has also mentioned, if you are drying clothes in the room/house, this is compounding the issue. I am not saying you cannot dry your clothes in the house but if you are doing this then 'extra' ventilation should be provided to the room with the wet clothes in.

To summarise, re-establish any ventilation you have interrupted and remove the black mould with a bathroom mould cleaner or such like. You should not see any further build up following this. As the saying goes... Ventilation, Ventilation, Ventilation! :)
Just to emphasise that point AGAIN...
're-establish any ventilation you have interrupted'.
You know, nobody on here 'has to' answer any questions. We give up our time and knowledge freely to try and help people. Perhaps I shouldn't have bothered answering your question eh? And you have the nerve to insinuate that I'm not a nice person! :eek: :rolleyes:

'we also have a dehumidifire in the room. '
This suggests you have very bad ventilation , do you dry clothed indoors, have no extractor in bathroom? both will result in heavy humidity levels and poor living conditions.

'we also have a dehumidifire in the room. '
This suggests you have very bad ventilation , do you dry clothed indoors, have no extractor in bathroom? both will result in heavy humidity levels and poor living conditions.
only dry clothes down stairs and have an extrator in bathroom .

I have put ceiling vents in 2day ,So fingers crosses.

We also have started to open the window in our bedroom in the day now and leave the spare bedroom door and window open now aswell.so i'm hopin we have saw the last of the black mould now.

I have put ceiling vents in 2day ,So fingers crosses.

We also have started to open the window in our bedroom in the day now and leave the spare bedroom door and window open now aswell.so i'm hopin we have saw the last of the black mould now.

The cold dry air will come in from the ceiling vent wnt it?
no, the airflow will just go upwards.

after reading all ive put do u think wot i have done will wrk??

if nt no wot will?? cn't put air brick on frnt as its got cladding on the frnt of my house and air brick wud look sh*t.??

after reading all ive put do u think wot i have done will wrk??
After reading 'all of what we've put' do YOU think it will?
if nt no wot will??
I think you know the answer to that one.
cn't put air brick on frnt as its got cladding on the frnt of my house and air brick wud look sh*t.??
What can you live with, the air brick in the cladding or the Black Mould?

Wasn't there an Air Brick in the cladding/rendering before? Where does the Air Brick that you have covered up lead to? Isn't it possible to re-establish that Air Brick?

I'm wondering if the black mould has actually released some hallucinogenic mushroom spores?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back