Black thick walled water pipe?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Morning all!!

I have a garage which a water pip I cut and capped while doing some work. Its not the normal blue type, its black with a very thick wall, the hole for the flow of water is quite small compared to the size of the pipe. Its not the post flexible of cable

I am after some bits for it but cant find much online? I can find the bits I need or the actual name of the pipe.

I dealing I am a stop cock, or a converter to attached copper piping to run to a new sink and outside tape on my garage

Any help is appreciated

Thanks

Sponsored Links
It'll be Alkathene - a Philmac or Plasson universal connector will do the job

Does it look like this:

IMG_2523.JPG

There are Plasson fittings that are made for the black, the most common size is called 1/2" but it's more like 22mm. I've seen joints on it that are 22mm compression fittings. When we repair the black we use these:

IMG_2522.JPG

Half inch is its diameter, and so is 22mm

But imperial pipe sizes are stated by internal diameter, and metric by external diameter.

Both methods are perfectly sensible, but different. Your old black plastic pipe was made in the short interval between its introduction, and metrication of UK building products.

I have an idea it was early 1970's

Sponsored Links
Morning all!!

I have a garage which a water pip I cut and capped while doing some work. , its black with a very thick wall, the hole for the flow of water is quite small compared to the size of the pipe.

Thanks
The wall thickness is the grade of the pipe/pressure capability.( Grade D was common)

Last edited:
Did valve replacements to 12 rads on Tues and 6 of em were piped up with alkathene :eek:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back