Blackout Roller Blinds - Front Mount

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am planning on installing two blackout roller blinds onto my sash windows.

I previously tried with the blinds installed onto the inner window frame, leaving the architrave exposed. Although I liked the look, sunlight was passing through the top and both sides.

I was thinking of attaching a wooden batten on the top and install the blind which covered the entire window including the architrave.

The wooden batten will be a 2x1 and the window frame protrudes 2cm out so it closely matches the batten.

The complete width of the window including the architrave is 114cm. Blinds are available already in 120cm (116cm fabric) which will cover the entire width.

Will this be sufficient in preventing any sunlight passing through the sides?

Even though the fabric is only 2cm wider than the window width, the actual glass is quite a distance away from the architrave.

Any suggestions is appreciated. Thanks.

Attachments

• 20211116_213009.jpg
    20211116_213009.jpg
    158.4 KB · Views: 77
Sponsored Links
Like foxhole says, you need U shaped channel either side for the edge of the blind to run in. The channel is around 1 1/4" to 1 1/2" and the opening needs to be very narrow so no light gets around the edge of the fabric. Your weight bar at the bottom of the blind is cut to the same measurement as the distance between the inner faces of the channel. We have just had 6 science labs at cllege fitted with them. Easy to install but they must go inside the reveal for best results.

Thanks for the suggestions.

I have decided to simply front mount the roller blinds onto the battens.

My next question is; how wide should the battens be? The full width of the windows are 114cm. Also, what is the best size for the battens, 2x1?

Sponsored Links
Bear in mind, the support brackets will hold the roll of blind material away from the window/wall by a few millimetre so no matter where you mount it. The only way to achieve complete blackout is how foxhole and I have described otherwise you will get light coming in at the edges. Maybe if you had a 2 foot overlap at each side it may reduce the light to an acceptable level but you will still get light.

Thanks for all the suggestions so far.

I have considered the options and decided on adding a wooden batten to attach the roller blinds.

Are there any recommendations on how much wider a wooden batten should be?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back