Blade found - what to do?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all - bought some carpets with a large national carpet fitting chain and the fitters just came. They left a razor blade on the floor which i didn't see (i think they may have moved a chair over it) and my toddler found the blade. Thankfully she's ok but i let her crawl about and she came out with the blade and was about to put it in her mouth. Has freaked me out and i want to let the chain know as I want it to inform internal processes but I also don't want to get anyone in trouble. The fitters were nice guys but just so rushed and i feel this contributed. I did check the area but didnt even know they used those small blades , and i feel they could have a process such as you go in with a full pack of blades and ayou come out with one, so you know none are left in there. What would folks do in this situation? I would contact the fitters but i dont have number and I feel this should inform a wider procedure, not just them.

Sponsored Links
Mention it. If they did it once, they will do it again. Yes, they may get into trouble, but hopefully it will be a training exercising and not a sacking one.

You could contact them on social media anon and say what you said above. Tell them to train their fitters etc. then you are not singling out one showroom. But, then again, the shop that sent the fitter might not get the memo.

Def. mention it to them.

Absolutely mention it. You dont want it to happen to someone else!

Could you not pretty much repost what you have written here on Twitter (tagging them), assuming that they have a twitter account.

Mention the general location and explain that you don't want to get anyone in trouble.

I do something similar from time to time. One day I complained about a central line driver reading a book as the train pulled in to the platform without mentioning the exact time. The trains are automated- but the drive is still supposed to watch to ensure that, for example, no one falls on to the track as the train pulls in.

I am hoping that TFL would have sent out a reminder to drivers.

Sponsored Links
I do something similar from time to time. One day I complained about a central line driver reading a book as the train pulled in to the platform without mentioning the exact time. The trains are automated- but the drive is still supposed to watch to ensure that, for example, no one falls on to the track as the train pulls in.

I am hoping that TFL would have sent out a reminder to drivers.
lol. Reminded me of something. About 15 years ago, the driver of the C2C would get out of the cab when it pulled into Upminster station and get a coffee from the kiosk on the platform. They would have it waiting for him so it wasn’t like he had to queue up for it. He left the cab door open. Anyone could have gone in and driven off - I think it was around the time of terrorist attacks . I sent an email to C2C letting them know and they wrote back basically calling me a liar and said that under no circumstances do drivers leave the cab. They must have had a word with him as he stopped doing it. A few weeks later as I was queuing for a coffee at the kiosk, the lady in the kiosk said to the other lady, “The 7:18 will be here soon, better get George's coffee ready". I thought I’d take sneaky picture of him leaving the cab so I held my phone low and took a photo as the driver left his cab. Unfortunately, it was still darkish so the flash automatically went off. The lady in front of me tucked her skirt between her legs and gave me one dirty filthy look. I got a few dirty looks from others too - I think they thought I was 'upskirting'. I mumbled something about my phone going off accidentally and moved to another carriage and later when I looked, I only had a blurry picture of my own hand! I didn’t bother in future!

lol. Reminded me of something. About 15 years ago, the driver of the C2C would get out of the cab when it pulled into Upminster station and get a coffee from the kiosk on the platform. They would have it waiting for him so it wasn’t like he had to queue up for it. He left the cab door open. Anyone could have gone in and driven off - I think it was around the time of terrorist attacks . I sent an email to C2C letting them know and they wrote back basically calling me a liar and said that under no circumstances do drivers leave the cab. They must have had a word with him as he stopped doing it. A few weeks later as I was queuing for a coffee at the kiosk, the lady in the kiosk said to the other lady, “The 7:18 will be here soon, better get George's coffee ready". I thought I’d take sneaky picture of him leaving the cab so I held my phone low and took a photo as the driver left his cab. Unfortunately, it was still darkish so the flash automatically went off. The lady in front of me tucked her skirt between her legs and gave me one dirty filthy look. I got a few dirty looks from others too - I think they thought I was 'upskirting'. I mumbled something about my phone going off accidentally and moved to another carriage and later when I looked, I only had a blurry picture of my own hand! I didn’t bother in future!

Waw, your secret is out!!!!! :p

I would say that, morally, you have a duty of care to report finding the blade.
This will probably lead to the company issuing a general safety reminder to check they have cleared up all debris before leaving site, so it won't be directed at anyone in particular. They may even thank you for notifying them, as they wouldn't want a customer of any age, to be injured by a lack of attention from one of their fitters.
Glad to hear your daughter is ok.

I would say that, morally, you have a duty of care to report finding the blade.
This will probably lead to the company issuing a general safety reminder to check they have cleared up all debris before leaving site, so it won't be directed at anyone in particular. They may even thank you for notifying them, as they wouldn't want a customer of any age, to be injured by a lack of attention from one of their fitters.
Glad to hear your daughter is ok.
Yep, report and move on, the end.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back