Blanking off double socket

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I'm looking to remove and blank off a domestic double socket in a bedroom. Is using insulating tape to separately cover the 3 core cable ends and tucking them away sufficiently safe?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
No!

How many cables enter the socket? Just one set of 3?

If so, try and find the other end of the cable and disconnect it from the origin.

If there is two cables (so 2 red(brown), 2 black(blue) and 2 G/Y) then you must join these two cables together in 30a connector blocks to maintain ring continuity

Tape will a) do nothing and b) fall off over time

http://www.screwfix.com/p/30a-terminal-strips-pack-of-10/30134

Thanks for the quick response. I haven't checked yet if it has multiple cables. I already have some 30A connectors to which you refer so I should be ok.

If it is only a single cable and I'm unable to locate its source. How should I terminate the cable ends?

Again, with connector blocks is fine.

You will need a multimeter to identify it's source really, it will *probably* come from a nearby socket with three cables in, but without a multimeter it will be hard to know what cable does what and what's dead/live

Sponsored Links
Would just using a blanking plate be acceptable?
Not only acceptable, but essential if the OP ends up with connector box terminations within the back box - since they would need to remain 'accessible'. He can't use 'buried' connector blocks.

Kind Regards, John

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back