bleed valve (rad)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
re previous thread
//www.diynot.com/forums/plumbi...evious-gloworm-and-open-vented-system.349153/

when we had the airjec fitted one of the new style bleed valves was stuck solid and he has snapped it (cracked the plastic casing) i know you can get replacements for penny.

by question is, it doesnt look like it leaking, and been a fair few months since he cracked it, has the plastic part got anything to do with sealing it (from leaking) or is it the main bit in side it that seals the hole, the plastic part i am guessing just seals it when you open it with a key??

also can you undo it and just replace the plastic part as it has gone discoloured as well as broken?

or is it replace the whole part? which im guessing with mean isolating the rad ??

what if i quick undo it with an adjustable spanner will much water come out? also is ptfe required on the thread or does the rubber washer do a good job of sealing it?
thanks

Sponsored Links
Hi hep I would isolate the rad by turning down the valves , drain some water from the rad and change the fitting.then open valves to top up rad by opening new fitting to test it works
In all probability once I started to drain rad of water after closing valves I would empty rad take off wall and flush it in garden to make sure it's clean.u to you what you do though

Id pop in/phone a plumbers merchents to be sure you can get replacements, tho im sure any plumbers on here will know. The plastic is just a guide, so the water comes out of the hole, making bleeding cleaner. doesnt seal the rad. I wouldnt refit the rubber seal again personally, if its been there a while it may have started hardening, and if it was an "O" ring it prob will be distorted. Either replace seal or ptfe to be safe and not sorry!

Id pop in/phone a plumbers merchents to be sure you can get replacements, tho im sure any plumbers on here will know. The plastic is just a guide, so the water comes out of the hole, making bleeding cleaner. doesnt seal the rad. I wouldnt refit the rubber seal again personally, if its been there a while it may have started hardening, and if it was an "O" ring it prob will be distorted. Either replace seal or ptfe to be safe and not sorry!

Sponsored Links
thank you ^^^^^^ very much for putting my mind at rest regards the plastic cover, do you think i could just replace the plastic cover ?

but then again saying that as you say its only for a clean bleed, hardly worth worrying about, and you have explained the reason why not leaking :)

thanks!!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back