Bleeding Diesel Engine

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My Sister in law has a Focus 1.8 TDDI. the fuel filter has sucked in loads of air due to the feed pipe clip popping off.
The car now will not start, I have replaced the clip and now its sealed but the car will not start.
The car has no priming pump.

I have sprayed easystart in the air intake whilst cranking and it still does not take.

What can I do?? She is stuck for a car and I would really like to help her.

Many Thanks

Sponsored Links
The most convenient way to get these going is to fill up the fuel filter as much as you can with diesel - from a jug, washing up liquid bottle or similar. However, the engine will start so long as your battery is good enough to keep it cranking....thats all you have to do! Keep off the easy start though - its dreadful stuff really and only good for engines with poor compression. Cheers John

Still need help guys,

Oil filter is primed with diesel

The fuel is getting to the injectors but the car will not start at all even when connected connected via jump leads to another diesel engine.

Any Advice appreciated.

give it a tow round the block. 2nd gear, foot flat out on the go pedal and get ready with the clutch when it starts!

Sponsored Links
I had not a too disimilar thing on another make. Is the car a common rail one?. I think it could well be.

If this is the case then the injectors will not open unless the fuel pressure is in excess of 120bar. There is usually a pressure regulator on the back of the pump. This is run off a fuse called engine valve in most cases and is usually 15 amp.

Remove this and crank a few times. What it does is allow the rail pressure to get upto around it's max of 1200 bar which the control unit will allow the injectors to open. DO NOT RUN FOR MORE THAN 30 SECONDS.

Put the fuse back in and it should run ok. There will however be a engine warning light showing which just means the codes need clearing.

Hope this helps.

Back