Bleeding radiators

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have bled the radiators in my house, but one seems to suck air, instead of filler with water. Has anyone any ideas what could be wrong

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
So, are you absolutely sure its letting air in, then?
John :)
Yes , if you put you face to it, there is no air being pushed out. All the other radiators push air out and fill up within minutes. This one doesn't seem to be filling up.

Mark

Check that the lockshield/valves are open. If thermostatic has the pin jammed?

do you have a sealed system? is there any pressure in it?
If it's an open system, is this problem rad the highest one on the system, if so it may be the system is not refilling.

do you have a sealed system? is there any pressure in it?
If it's an open system, is this problem rad the highest one on the system, if so it may be the system is not refilling.
It is an open system, all the radiators upsatirs are at the same level. I agree that one is not refilling, but can't understand why. The system gets hot and works if I leave that radiator un bled, but it just doesn't get hot, obviously because the water isn't getting to it

how sludgy is the system, that might be the problem. or possibly you may have an airlock.
Have drained it right down and put cleaning chemical in because thought that would help, so sorry not sludgy. Unless blocked and hasn't freed it off yet

Mark359";p="1991276 said:
So, are you absolutely sure its letting air in, then?
John :)
Mark359";p="1991276 said:
Yes , if you put you face to it, there is no air being pushed out. All the other radiators push air out and fill up within minutes. This one doesn't seem to be filling up

Mark, your answer doesn't answer BM's question. Are you sure it is SUCKING air in? Or is it just not bleeding? To test, simply open nipple and spread some spit (!) around the nipple. If it is sucking, the spit will be drawn into the rad. If your spit just sits there, the orifice is blocked. In that event, it is a question of removing the nipple and pricking with a pin. But turn off both rad valves or you may have a lot of water splashing around.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back