Blistered Paintwork

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi;

I fitted my kitchen about 7 years ago and as I work and live mainly away from home its still in excellent condition as it only used to get used at weekends and since Christmas has been empty. My daughter pops over every week to check on the place and air it and the heating was on timer during the cooler months of the winter.

I am now back for four weeks and have noticed that an area just above the skirting board has blistered badly. This has not been a problem before?

The property is 1930 and the wall in question used to be an outside wall until a kitchen was built possibly in the 50/60's?

I will be moving back in permanently in December.

How would you recommend I deal with this?
The paint is a water based paint, poss Dulux one coat Silk, but has never caused a problem before.

Sponsored Links
Have you scrapped any away? Looks like it could be hydroscopic salt which has come from the plaster. Scrape away and sand down the affected areas to good clean plaster then wash 3 times over 10 days with a water and vinegar solution about 3:1 ratio

Would also be an idea to check any near by pipe work for leaks and check there is no sign of water getting in from outside.

Sponsored Links
Agree with above that you need to check for any pipes running in the wall as it looks like a damp problem. It'll have to be scraped off sooner or later so you may as well scrape it off now and check for damp and make sure you wait until its rained a few times before you re-paint.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back