Block and beam grout/slurry wetness

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I need to cover a block and beam floor in the grout/slurry mix. I'm unsure of how wet the mix should be.

I read that it needs to be brushed cleaned and wetted beforehand, and then a 4:1 sharp sand cement slurry needs brushing on.

How wet/dry is this slurry?

Does it have to be sharp sand? Will builders sand work fine.. cos I have a lot of that.

Sponsored Links
I need to cover a block and beam floor in the grout/slurry mix. I'm unsure of how wet the mix should be.

I read that it needs to be brushed cleaned and wetted beforehand, and then a 4:1 sharp sand cement slurry needs brushing on.

How wet/dry is this slurry?

Does it have to be sharp sand? Will builders sand work fine.. cos I have a lot of that.
Builders sand will dry out too quick.
Wet everything first.
Mix it like pish and brush it about.
Don't leave any clumps about.

Sponsored Links
There are 2 parts to this, well there was when I did it

- Mix cement and water into a slurry, so its pourable, and cover everything with that. This will help lock the blocks together.
- After thats dried (not long at all), make a 4:1 mix of cement, sharp sand and feb mix. Needs to be pretty runny, so it can easily be pushed around with a broom, to fill all the gaps, and needs to be workable for about 15 minutes. Trial and error here, my first batch was a bit stiff and really hard work.

Do 1 plasterers bucket full at a time, no more, unless there are more than 2 of you. I mixed it using a paddle in a large SDS drill.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back