Block Paving and Height of DPM Issue

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I have an issue with my driveway and path and would welcome some advice. I live in a semi-detached house, with the drive to the left. The block paved drive slopes from the front to the back in one continuous run, beginning at the boundary and ending at the channel drain in front of my garage. A path links with the drive and continues the pattern to provide access to the front door. Given this arrangement, the path at the front of the house is not 150 mm below the DPM, but closer to 60 mm. However, the path falls left and right at the door area and away from the house across its length. (See Photos)

//media.diynot.com/215000_214660_92391_53810955_thumb.jpg
//media.diynot.com/215000_214660_92390_29257170_thumb.jpg
//media.diynot.com/215000_214660_92392_57416406_thumb.jpg
//media.diynot.com/215000_214660_92393_75888562_thumb.jpg

Whilst I am aware of the 150 mm rule, if this were applied, the drive would have dropped steeply and impacted also on the slope of the small front garden.

Although there is some splash-back from rain onto the front wall of the house, this seems to be minimal. I am wondering if an application of Storm Dry (Masonry Protector) or similar product would possibly prevent the development of damp problems inside the house in the future.

Sponsored Links
Whilst home-buyers surveyors reel in horror, breaching the 150mm rule is subjective, i.e. it may or may not have an effect.

If the cavity is clear at this point, there is a decent soffit overhang, you don't live in a coastal or exposed area then a breach may have no effect at all.

The other thing to consider is the effects of frost on the damp masonry. Go ahead and apply the masonry protector. What do you have to lose?

If the breach does become a serious issue, there is always the option to fit a lead flashing to the brickwork. Ugly but effective.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back