Block Paving - is 18 months on!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hey everyone. I had my block paving done around 18 months ago and it’s driven me mad since.

Every time we have rain I see puddles of water. The contractor has attempted to “fix it” three times but I just goes back to what it was before. Same spots, if not in now more areas.

This year I jet washed and re-sanded the whole drive. First time it rained we got puddles and now these areas have gone black.

Anyone recommend next steps?

Thank you.

8F35F4F2-573F-47A3-BABB-48D32D0877F0.jpeg 7EED6232-8874-42A6-A254-DDC35FBB3B3D.jpeg 1C17BCAC-AA5D-4750-9DCD-5DCC04181184.jpeg 84B00DD6-6D9C-40F7-809D-2FA75A8038EA.jpeg 4ABB31D9-C7E4-4F3D-91AF-E18310ACADD5.jpeg 60BD97DF-CF55-4CCF-82E9-B1148055EC4A.jpeg

Sponsored Links
There are different views on jet washing block paving. When I did mine the levels were unaffected except for some areas where the compacted sand beneath the blocks got partially washed away.

The black dirt is the residue after the pools of water have drained through the blockwork.

It doesn't look too bad (to me) from the photos, but you might need something more fundamental than re setting a few blocks if the fall is to take all the water away.

In my experience - as a DIYER - heavy rain always leaves pools unless the fall is really significant.

Blup

Thank you for the reply.

Glad to hear you don’t think it’s too bad. I have a very very flat drive, there no real way for a significant drop.

One thing to note is the water does drain within an hour of rain stopping.

Do you suggest I try to DIY raise the blocks with sand? Have been thinking about this for a while. Just to see if this makes any difference.

Sponsored Links
Yeah that’s the worry.

This is the drive in full after it was laid. Do you see anything that could be different?

As I mentioned. There wasn’t any real opportunity for a fall.

DF9B6296-20A7-483C-A8EC-96DE55B372DE.jpeg 85FFD9BA-387B-4188-840C-75534F4EE6A1.jpeg

Only that the drainage is at the edge of the house, I would prefer it to be the other way in case blockages or really heavy rainfall.

Blup

If it’s flat you have no chance, you will just move the puddles around.

Hi Ian. Thanks for the reply.

Yeah it’s very flat and I have now wall or edge to start a drop from.

Do you recommend anything else to improve drainage? Different “bricks” for example.

Don’t think that’s something I could do.. wouldn’t have a clue how to do it and dig out the cement. Was looking at either different bricks.. different sand etc.

Perhaps underneath the blocks is flooded and some form of perforated pipe drain may help clear the area of water? Otherwise the puddles should evaporate/drain fairly quickly...How long are they staying for?

Even if you swapped for the permeable blocks you would still have trouble because they have a different subbase that’s like a big soakaway.

I think you will just have to accept that when it rains you will get puddles.

If you want to go to the trouble of having it relaid you could create a slight "hump" across the middle so the front half drained back to the street and the back half drained into the aco's.

Finally stopped raining here (2 days straight). It took about an hour for all water to clear. That sound right?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back