Block paving question

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
When block paving is done, from what I understand the bricks sit on a compacted base of sand but even when sand is compacted, if you walk on it, you get footprint in the sand. So question is how does the brick not dig into the sand? I assume the kiln dried sand that goes into the gaps creates a tight compression?

Sponsored Links
The sand pushes the sand up around it once all blocks are in place the sand can't push up the blocks next to it so it had no where to go.

The blocks sorta hold the sand down if you get what I mean

even when sand is compacted, if you walk on it, you get footprint in the sand
That is only because the sand is not restrained - it can move sideways and upwards. to form an indentation, the sand has to move somewhere.

This is not the case with a restained bed and interlocking blocks on top. However, there will be a point where this can be overloaded and something gives - normally the subsoil below the compacted beds will itself compact or move, and then rutting or dips occur as the upper layers depress.

The kiln-dried sand was intended to help the interlock and prevent individual blocks tipping. But the nibs do that. Nowadays with permeable paving blocks, the kiln dried sand is redundant

Sponsored Links
Just to add the other replies, if you stand very gently with a flat foot with shoes that are smooth you won't really leave a mark, most of the damage is caused by you grinding your weight on the edges of your shoe as you step. The block paver turns that mixing force into a downwards only one.
But i agree the main one is that you should have run a compactor over the blocks after you laid them so any give should have been taken up and it's more like a tyre that's well pumped.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back