Block wall labour price

Sponsored Links
I suppose if they're prepared to cough up then fair enough, but what if they turned round at the last minute after accepting, and saying

"in that case you can stick around and do me another wall so I get me moneysworth"

I've done that - though with a plasterer. He finished at 11.45, so I told him there was another ceiling that could be done - for some reason he didn't seem very happy :LOL:

For bricklaying? :eek:
Why not? A daily rate is only an hourly rate x the number of hours, after all (no sh*t Sherlock!).

If I'm paying a day rate, I expect a full day's work in return.

Not really. Generally you will pay a tradesman one rate on an hourly basis or another rate for a full or half day. Hourly rates are only practical for call-out type work, not longer building jobs

As for the day rate .... what if I can do your full days work in half a day? Would you still only pay me 1/2 days money? ;)

No, you give me a fixed price and I agree to it that's fine; equally, if it takes longer than you allowed, then tango sierra bravo, unless the time is longer due to changes that I've made. You want paying a daily rate, then I expect to have a day's work; you work less than a day, I expect a pro-rata charge. Or you do something else for the day for me: I've paid for 8 hours, so for that time, your arse is mine :LOL:.

Sponsored Links
He's a friend of a friend and he's doing this as an aside to his normal job so he doesn't have anywhere else to be if he finishes at noon. This is just some beer money for him.

And I can't believe some people people took me seriously about the voucher!

I'm sure he' be happy with £100-120 cash for that, seeing as he won't get taxed on it.

And an HMV voucher :).

Update! OK, he arrived at 8am and finished at 3pm. Worked without stopping and it was chucking it down all day. He built an 18m wall at five courses high plus he built some steps that were four course hgh...and all in that horrible 6" colid concrete block that weighs a tonne and is really awkward to shift around (as my back can testify). He even made a really nice curve in the wall instead of basic angle return.

I finally managed to get him to name a price and he said shyly said £120. Given that he had travelled a few extra miles I gave him £140.

He's coming back in three weeks to build a garage (5m x 5.5m). Says if the weather is good he might be able to do it in two days!

Bingo!!!

120 quid - wish i knew of trades that would work for that for a weekend, hard to find a trade that will work for that on one day!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back