Block wall labour price

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
OK, bit of a strange one. Got a friend of a friend building a garden wall for me using concrete block. The wall is 20m x 0.9m. Footings are all in place and the materials are being supplied by me. This lad is a brickie by trade and he reckons it will take him about a day and a half (with me mixing).

Problem is he's only young and he's always worked for his uncle so he's not too clever on pricing so he's just told me to pay him what I think it's worth!

So what's it worth?

How much should I offer to pay him to build this wall for 1.5 days (Sat/Sun)?

Of course, if Mr Darling happens to have stumbled across this post I can assure him this is just hypothetical and the wall and the brickie are imaginary and do not exist - for tax reasons).

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Where you are depends on the rate

But £180 would be fair for a properly built wall in these circumstances.

If he is still learing and the time relates to lack of experience than you may be looking at £130-150

We're in Manchester. The brickie isn't a teenager - he's time served - he has just always worked for someone else so he never has to price up any work. Bit awkward really because he should know but I don't want to offend him either.

Maybe if I get him an HMV voucher?

..... but I don't want to offend him either.

Maybe if I get him an HMV voucher?

These two statements don't go together :eek:

He should be asking for at least what he would normally get per day. And there is no 1/2 day, so really he would want two-days pay.

He may be just shy, but I can guarantee that even if he has not said a price, he certainly does have one in his mind.

Really, you should ask him what he would normally get paid per day and offer him that. And if you are happy with the job then you pay a bit more

Sponsored Links
It's almost certainly an issue with him being too shy to ask. But I just wanted to get an idea in my head before I blurted out the wrong price.

Initially I was thinking of £200.

(or £190 plus the HMV voucher).

do not offer a voucher as part of a pay deal - he will be offended and quite rightly so.

offer the voucher as a tip of gratuity.

i dont like the voucher Idea at all, dont buy it in the first place, to me its an insult, like something you were given and dont want.

It's almost certainly an issue with him being too shy to ask. But I just wanted to get an idea in my head before I blurted out the wrong price.

Initially I was thinking of £200.

(or £190 plus the HMV voucher).
If you know him well, he should be well happy with £200. If he really is a “friend” & if I was him, I would be happy doing it for nothing other than lots of tea, a few beers towards the end of the day &, as a bonus, an evening meal (in or out) for me & the wife; to me, cash always seems vulgar where friends are concerned! If not I'd go in with £100/day; 1½ days = £150.

Because if your going for 1/2 a day, then unless you can do another 1/2 a day somewhere else, then the day is lost. And its never 1/2 a day its always more

Its like saying "its an hours work" and expecting the day rate to the pro-rata-ed.

It may work for jobs based on time charging, but not for this work

The way I look at it, is [with building work] if someone is tying me up for most of the day, then they get charged for the day

Because if your going for 1/2 a day, then unless you can do another 1/2 a day somewhere else, then the day is lost. And its never 1/2 a day its always more

Its like saying "its an hours work" and expecting the day rate to the pro-rata-ed.

It may work for jobs based on time charging, but not for this work

The way I look at it, is [with building work] if someone is tying me up for most of the day, then they get charged for the day

always bugs me this one - three times so far on my current reno I've paid a "days" rate for half a day, and I know for a fact that they've gone on to do another half day for a full days rate somewhere else after each.

Must try that one, might hit that magical £1720 that Joe's on about :LOL:.

But what if you don't have anywhere else to be?

Funny thing this, the hypothetical "I could be off somewhere else earning £££"

I suppose if they're prepared to cough up then fair enough, but what if they turned round at the last minute after accepting, and saying

"in that case you can stick around and do me another wall so I get me moneysworth"

You'd be smarting I'm sure ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back