Blockage in cold water pipe ? related to leak next door

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My girlfriend lives in a block of flats that were converted about 5 years ago. Yesterday evening about 7pm she lost the cold water supply to her bathroom. :(

Interestingly at about the same time there was some work going on in the next door flat, which had developed a leak from the rising main. They inform me that they haven't been able to do anything to next door yet as the cannot locate the main stop cock! And that that shouldn't have done anything to her flat. I'm not sure if they share the same main feed.

Well anyway the cold water supply to her bathroom comes off the main feed to the kitchen tap ( I think - can't tell as behind fitted cupboard) and then runs behind some cupboards to the bathroom. I can't trace it all the way as it goes behind another room and I can't get access to it. There is a feed off this pipe to the washing machine and this appears to be patent and at mains pressure.

So somewhere between where the feed goes to the washing machine and the bathroom there is a blockage. The stopcock on that route appears to be open and there is no reason to think that anything has happen to it however I fear it may be blocked. Oh and in case you haven't realised access is a problem! :confused: and the hot water is fine!

So is there a blockage of the stopcock? Is this related to the problem next door. It sounds too much of a coincidence to be unrelated to me. :rolleyes:

Any thoughts would be much appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Have now sorted out the problem.

The chaps working next door lied to me when they said they hadn't shut any valves! :evil: and lied that the problem was from the rising main!

And their boss who apprently was supposed to be v knowledgable about the block was wrong when he said the bathroom feed was off the mains!

It appears that the stop cock for the bathroom lies in next door's flat. :confused: How bloody stupid is that! And in the midst of their trying to isolate their leak next door they shut off our bathroom supply and didn't realise it! The feed comes from a cold water tank in the roof of the building and then splits next door into each flat.

Fortunately the lads were back working on the flat next door this afternoon and I was able to get access next door and we realised the problem when we looked at the pipework.

So sorry to waste any of your time. My girl's glad she's got her water back and she can now have a shower not to mention go to the loo!!! :D

I'm just annoyed that they didn't just tell me that they tried turning a few valves on and off and waste my time!!! :mad:

Still didn't have to destroy the kitchen to get access to the pipework........ this time - so should be thankful for that!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back