Blocked 8mm Mirco Bore

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Help!

I have a baxi gas fired, wall mounted, central heating boiler feeding a hot water cylinder and radiator, I didn't install the system but estimate its age to be 20-25 years.
The radiators are all run in 8mm micro-bore from one manifold located under the floor on the landing at the top of the stairs.
I recently added some 'sludge remover' to the system to try to increase its efficiency. Within one day, one of the downstairs radiators stopped working (it eventually gets luke warm after the system had been running for a few hours). I have flushed the 'sludge remover' out of the system but the radiator still doesn't work. (There is no air in the system).
I'm guessing that what I've done is dragged the sludge out of the radiator and into to the outgoing 8mm micro bore blocking it. I have since had the radiator off and flushed it with a hose pipe outside so I know that the radiator is clear (although this did remove quite a bit more 'sludge').

Unfortunately to pipe can't be easily replaced as it is not accessible due to being under the floor and in the walls.

Does anyone know how I can unblock the pipe?

To make maters worse the room thermostat is located in the same room as the blocked radiator, hence that room never gets hot and the rest of the house is boiling.

Sponsored Links
Turn the ch off. Does water come out of the rad tails (with the rad off)?

Try a wet vac.
Garden hose can be employed but watch the pressure and cap the pipes at the f/e tank.

Florida would be warm.

Sponsored Links
Use a foot pump and attach it to the 8mm pipe and blast it with air.

As ChrisR said, take the rad off, then open each valve in turn and drain the water until it runs clear, if no water comes out it's blocked and hosepipe/footpump actions may be required.

and get a good dose of ds40 in the system.

You will need at least minimal circulation for it to work though.

It aggresive but it will do the job.

Dave

i would hazzard a guess that the blocage is in the manifold where that rad pipes join it.
have a look at the manifold and see if its a compression type. undo the pipes from it and clear it out..(in the sink)
it could be full of drap in the bottom half of the manifold thereby blocking some flow or return pipe

D Block is good!, along with a pressurised gun.

David

Just thought I'd play pv man's advocate.

I still think the best move any of you guys could make with microbore systems, saniflows, combi boilers is to sell the house.

Before moving, try only one rad on at a time (turn all the others off) - the full force of the pump on one rad may clear things.
This is my solution for all rad problems this week !!!

Sometimes it's those useless rad valves the microbore guys use which go in at one point of the rad flow and return. A very tricky art balacing those is.

Apart from those things I think the microbore system's major installation failing in modern buildings is the way it's layed under a screed and the drain off is about 2 foot up the wall where the pipework is 22mm. But you can bet your bottom dollar the homeowner will have a pristine flat wall to wall with ivory carpet and a permanent facial expression of horror at a pair of boots inside the hallowed threshold.

Talking of the great wit, where is PVM?

Hope he has not disappeared taking his style of humour with him.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back