Blocked condensate trap cleared but what about heat exchanger?

• Thread starter charliebean
  • Start date
C

charliebean

We've got an Ideal Icos boiler which is ten year's old. We got an LF fault on it and it stopped working. It hasn't been serviced for a long time (I know, I know, but we have very low income due to illness so we make do the best we can) so we thought it might be worth checking the condensate trap in case that had a blockage that was causing it and we figured this isn't part of the gas system itself so we are alright doing this our self.

So we turned everything off and took the trap off and the trap was full of solid carbon-like deposit which was bone dry. I cleared it out and flushed it with water. We then noticed the drain hole from the boiler where the trap attaches was blocked with the same material, so we pulled it out and out came the expected sludge and water held up behind it. Put it back together and we now have heating and no fault. All good.

But the trap must have been like that was years so I'm wondering where all the condensate has been going and we imagine the heat exchanger must have a lot of crap in it?

Is this something we can remove and clean out ourselves? Know where it is, how to remove it etc. and it doesn't look to hard, but don't want to do anything against the boiler regulations.

Sponsored Links
don't want to do anything against the boiler regulations.

Bit late for that - the condensate trap is part of the flue system and should only be removed and refitted by a Gas Safe Registered engineer. Incorrect refitting could lead to carbon monoxide poisoning

The heat exchanger is behind the room-sealing panel which you're also not supposed to be removing.

Bit late for that - the condensate trap is part of the flue system and should only be removed and refitted by a Gas Safe Registered engineer. Incorrect refitting could lead to carbon monoxide poisoning

The heat exchanger is behind the room-sealing panel which you're also not supposed to be removing.

Thanks for that, thought that would be the case with the Hex but didn't think the trap would be an issue. Confident it's refitted the same way as it came out. Am I right that the Hex could really do with a clean out? If that's the case, it sounds like we'll need to get a professional in. Might it make more sense for us to get the whole thing serviced rather than just pay for the Hex to get cleaned? If I got a service from BG or whatever would the service include cleaning out the Hex?

It does sound like it's in need of a proper service, although there's no guarantee that'll cute the LF fault which can be caused by a number of things. If you can't find a recommended local independent who's happy working on Icosts, Ideal themselves would be a good optionas their engineers are familiar with working on these heaps

Sponsored Links
It does sound like it's in need of a proper service, although there's no guarantee that'll cute the LF fault which can be caused by a number of things. If you can't find a recommended local independent who's happy working on Icosts, Ideal themselves would be a good optionas their engineers are familiar with working on these heaps

Most people on the estate have these boilers and have had loads of problems. Not the first time we've had this fault over the years, but few calls outs we've had have never found the blocked trap. An Ideal engineer is probably a good bet for at least getting a good service. Which? seems to think services are an absolute joke no matter where you get them from. If I have to find the money for a service I at least want it done properly so there is less chance of further problems.

Where about a in Wiltshire are you from as I work all around Wiltshire , if you are uncomfortable putting your location on the forum feel free to send me a pm (y)

Which? are an absolute joke when it comes to anything to do with boilers...

The bit of the trap before the actual water trap is boiler fumes, they have been redesigned and now use a top hat seal rather than a standard o ring. Basically all the muck from the heat exchanger ends up in the trap. These heaps of junk are desperate for regular servicing.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back