Blocked drain toilet shower bath PLEASE HELP I HAVE NO IDEA!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I live in a victorian terrace and suspect the drains are old and very narrow. Confession time - I ran out of toilet paper a couple of months ago, so used kitchen roll which I think may have caused the problem. First the outside drain overflowed with bits of kitchen roll visible. The toilet emptied a lot slower and there is a gurgling noise in the bath plughole. Then, when I flushed the toilet, a tiny bit of water spat up the plughole and into the bath (tiny amount).

I usually have showers and that drained away slowly. I had a bath last night and there was a disgusting drain smell when I emptied it (it took ages to empty), turned round and the shower tray was full of brown filthy drain water. Now when I do anything, even empty the washing machine something else happens.

I dont know what to do! Who do I contact?

Someone suggested a drain unblocker which I bought - its 95% sulphuric acid but I'm worried it might damage the drain.

Please help!

Sponsored Links
Have a look for a manhole, around your property and check that first,
you may be able to clear it from there with the aid of a cheepo set of drain rods,

you may be able to clear it from there with the aid of a cheepo set of drain rods,

Thanks for that, there are no visible manholes on my property, would I have to look outside the property ? Sorry if I'm appearing thick, I'm female!!

Firstly, the smallest size pipe you will have is likely 4" diameter, same size as still used today for drains. Im assuming all the victorian properties were built to a similar design, like mine, the kitchen and toilet are at the rear, possibly downstairs bathroom off the kitchen?

If this is the case there may not be a manhole until near the end of the terrace where the drains go into the road. Have you spoken to your neighbours to see if they have problems?

As the houses were built pre 1937, provided the sewer serves more than one property it is actually the responsibility of your water authority to sort out any problems with the sewers. Ring them and quote the "Public Health Act 1937". They dont like admitting to anything that costs them money, but they have a legal obligation to do it.

The chemical wont do much if the blockage is some way off, it'll be so dilute by then it'll be useless. Its nasty stuff, wont damage drains but will your skin and eyes!!!

Sponsored Links
Hugh, yes the bathroom is off the kitchen on the ground floor like yours. Havent spoken to the neighbours yet but I will do hopefully tomorrow. I didnt know that about the Water Authority having to sort it out. Wonderful, and thanks for quoting the Act too.

I dont want to do it myself, will have a go at most things but my stomach lifted at the smell of that drain water! Bathrooms to me are meant to be clean places and now all I can think of is the filthy rancid water in the shower tray! Ugh.

Can't believe I found this site, you're all so helpful! Thank you, I'll let you know how I get on.

Double check with the neighbours before you ring the water folks. The act states 'a drain that serves more than one property' or words to that effect. IF the problem is in the shared drain and your neighbours are experiencing problems, give the water folks a call, they should come and sort it F.O.C.

If (and you'll be unlucky...) its just your house, they may charge as its just the one property affected and the drains are your responsibility until they join with the neighbours.

Relevant legislation is known as section 24 of the Public Health Act 1936, and relates to sewers built pre October 1937. Section 24 states that for any sewer that serves more than one property, be it public or private build before the scheduled date (October 1937) then the responsibility for maintenance defaults to the sewerage undertaker.

Thanks for that, there are no visible manholes on my property, would I have to look outside the property ? Sorry if I'm appearing thick, I'm female!!

.....but you said in the OP the "outside drain" overflowed? Where's it overflowing from, if not a manhole or inspection cover?

Buck51 - Sorry, I think I'm using the wrong terminology! Its the drain thing that the rainwater downpipe goes into that was overflowing - but tissue paper was coming up over the edge, so presume they are all connected somewhere along the line.

There is no manhole cover on my property.

Sorry for misleading you!

Time to call in a drain clearing company I think...they have devices that can trace the route of your drain which will terminate in an inspection chamber - somewhere. Generally they aren't too far away but some get wrongly buried under tarmac, patio's, extensions etc.
They'll jet out the drain from this chamber to your gully - I don't envy the task too much!
Hope you get it sorted. John :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back