Blocked kitchen waste

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, my kitchen sink drains very slowly. I have taken all the pipes under the sink and cleaned them but it is still slow so i can only assume the problem is the pipe that takes the waste to the outside drain but i cant get access from the kitchen end due to the kitchen units so the only way is from the outside. My problem is that on the outside there is an l-bend which I cannot get off to rod the pipe out. How do I get the l-bend off please :( Many thanks, Chris

Sponsored Links
Does pipework have a fall on it?

That L bend you mention is it glued or a pushfit? If its glued then it won't come off. Better still can you take a picture of it?

Check where the pipe terminates in the drain - sometimes a blockage here or even slow draining water in the drain slows things down.

If this isn't it, and the bend is glued on, then you will have to cut the pipe (leave 3 or three inches from the bend) and get access from there. Fit a tee with an inspection cover when you reassemble the break in the pipe, or use a universal straight compression fitting.

Is it push fit
p1072587_l.jpg

Or solvent weld
p1063379_l.jpg

Push fit can be dismantled by pulling the fittings apart, but Sodd's law says you will pull the pipe out of the fitting on the other side of the wall before the outside one gives up it's grip.
Solvent weld can't be dismantled, because it's ...er... welded together.

Push-fit and solvent weld parts are not interchangeable, because the pipes are different sizes and different materials.

If you can get it apart, you could consider replacing the elbow with a tee, with an access plug in the spare outlet for cleaning in the future.

Sometimes the way forward is to carefully cut a section out of the thin hardboard back of a kitchen unit to access the pipework, screwing the cutout back in place on a couple of battens afterwards.

If you can't get the pipework apart, have you considered a chemical cleaner?

Sponsored Links
Hi thanks for the help. Sorry, I cant take any pictures my at the moment. It must be glued as it just wont budge! There isnt much spare pipe. I will have to see if I can cut it off and get a pushon to replace it I think. Many thanks, most helpful and so fast as well :D

Use a compression fitting to couple the two together...solvent weld and push fit aren't compatible with eachother.
John :)

Hi sorry, I have looked at it properly with the pics provided, thanks! It is the glued/welded sort. I have tried soda crystals to no avail. Would you suggest trying oneshot or something like that? Taking the back off the unit isn't an option as I have felt where the pipe goes and it seams to go underneath the unit so I would have to cut the base off the unit if that makes sence? Just to clarify the sink is not on an outside wall and the pipe run to the outside is approx 1m. Thanks again!

Solvent weld it is then.

Have you checked where the pipe terminates in the drain?

Hi sorry I should have taken another photo. The pipe doesn't go into the drain it exits onto a cover and the little drop after the l-bend is clear. Thanks

Exellent to get a pic ;) - There is a Get Over It thing you can do :idea: --If you drill a hole in the bend so you can get a cleaning wire thru` ...you then whittle a piece of wood to fit the hole like a plug in a cask of beer- you could smear a bit of silicone sealer round it after.

Thats a cracking idea! will give that a go tomorrow. Just hope it is a straight run to the blockage, cant really see it being anything else but who knows!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back