Blocking off chimney breast?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My wife is a huge worrier so i'm hoping someone here can help with this situation.

CURRENTLY: We have a gas fire installed which will be getting removed as well as surround & hearth. We were going to have a real fire installed, which then changed to a gas fire & now we're very likely to just be having no fire in it - expose the recess, maybe put in some shelving or something.

Photo 08-09-2015 1 15 31 pm.jpg

The flooring will also be getting renewed also as part of the job - boards & joists.

What is worrying my wife is:

1. What should be done to block up the chimney so that nothing falls down & to stop one huge draught coming down there?
  2. What should be done regarding venting the chimney?
I'm no expert (that's why I'm here) but i am guessing they would put some sort of plate somewhere in line with the lintel there. My wife thinks they may plasterboard it. My only concern with plasterboard would be it getting damp.

I also guess they would put some sort of top or cap on the chimney, in order to stop birds getting in there. What sort of top/cap or if one at all...I don't know.

As for the vent, wouldn't this let a big sooty stink in to the room? At any rate, if a vent is needed, would it have to go top centre, or could it go at one side of the chimney, or if on the sides would it have to go both sides?

Thanks.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back