Blocking old overflow hole in bottom of toilet cistern

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've just changed the syphon in my toilet cistern because I wanted one with an internal overflow so that I could get rid of the external overflow pipe. However, I am now left with a hole in the bottom of the cistern where the 22mm overflow pipe used to be.

I asked in one plumber's merchant and they sold me a blanking thing which pushes through and screws the other side, but I don't think it was the right thing. Firstly, it is a bit too small for the hole and doesn't fit snuggly, although with large washers it covers the hole. Secondly, it's only made of brittle plastic, and I think if I try and tighten it up too much it might break. I think it's really supposed to be for blocking off a hole for a handle in the front of the cistern, and is supposed to be above the water line and just cosmetic.

Another plumber's merchant I tried said he knew exactly what I meant, but that he only got them as part of a kit when buying a whole new cistern and he didn't have any spare, and he didn't know where to order them from.

What can I buy to seal this? I've asked around and searched but can't find anything. Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Get it dry, apply silicone sealant to rubber washer, put the screwed tail through the hole from the inside, tighten by hand then a little bit with spanner. Just remember if the nut is proud on one side this lip goes inside the hole to centralize it.

Sponsored Links
Thanks. "Fluidmaster Blanking Off Plug White" (for future searchers).

Pity about the £5 delivery charge, though. I see this item is by Fluidmaster and the local plumber's merchant that I like stocks Fluidmaster fill valves so I wonder if they will be able to get hold of this. Mind you, they are the same merchant that specifically said that they didn't have anything like this when I aksed them before.

For the benefit of the archives, you might like to know that I contacted [email protected] which is the contact address given at http://www.fluidmaster.com/html/contact_us_europe.html to ask for the part number for the part in Screwfix, to see if my local plumber's merchant could order it, but they said that that part was exclusive to Screwfix. They did say, though, that they can sell them direct to the public, in either 3/4" or 1/2" for £1 each including P&P, which was nice. In the end though, I got the (3/4") part from a Screwfix trade counter (I had temporarily forgotten about those!) and it worked fine.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back