Blocking up an internal door - bricks or boards?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I am planning on blocking up a door as is no longer needed.

I was thinking of just doing a stud wall and boarding this. Problem is the rest of the room will be float and set plaster so worried I might get plaster cracking where boarded plaster meets sand/ cement plaster. Is this a likely possibility?

If so, my other option is to brick up the door and then sand/ cement this too, but below floor level there is no wall. I need to be able to still access the ground floor as a crawl space so could I put a concrete lintel in below floor level so I can still crawl under if needed, but then build the wall ontop of this? Pic attached to help explain. Door to be blocked up is above this gap.

Cheers,

Dan

IMG_4116.jpg

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Stud and board it with plasterboards, but allow the boards to lip onto the masonry by about 150mm in each direction and fix the lipped bit of board to the masonry with board adhesive. You may need to select a stud timber size that allows you to do this, or.....fix the studs so that it allows you to do this easily one side and you may have to double board the other, if the stud section is less than the masonry thickness.

Think about using differing thicknesses of plasterboard to achieve what you need.(y)

We would fill the opening with studs, cover just the studs with either 9.5 or 12.5 boards then dab over the lot, making sure the plasterboard joints are bonded favourably, rather than faff about with any float & set on that wall

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back