Remove bricks over internal door and reposition frame

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
There is a single skin brick wall diving the bathroom and wc. This is on the 1st floor. Dividing wall sits on joists.

We want to bring the wc door frame forwards. There is 67cm of brick from the top of the door frame to ceiling (9 courses?). Loft is above. Only lath and plaster above the door frame.

Is it as simple as remove plaster remove bricks, starting at the top row, until reaching the door frame?

Then remove the door frame, reposition it, and frame/board back up to the ceiling?

Is it likely the bricks will be tied (or laid) into the two walls? If so, what's the best way of dealing? Both walls are taking roof load so I want to be v.careful knocking them. Angle grinder?

I also assume I'll find a wood lintel tied into the two walls. Best way to deal with it? Remove and fill holes with a cut brick and mortar, or, cut flush?

Anything particularly dangerous or stupid about the plan?

Advice welcome
20201102_214832.jpg
20201102_214824.jpg

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
20201103_194111.jpg
I guess my main concern is whether those bricks above the door are doing anything structural, like stabilising the two walls?

Wall on the left is supporting, wall on the right only exists this floor (first floor), which is a dividing wall between the bathroom and wc...

Last edited:
My preference is to snap them off, from above if possible, drill a few holes along the cut line so they break cleanly when you hit them with hammer and chisel. Aim to get the break far enough into the wall that it's below the plaster line.

Depending on the age of the house you might just find a big heavy door frame rather than a lintel, or even a "H" style frame with infill bricks.

As long as your new studwork is securely fixed to both walls (you might consider some small angle brackets to help fix the studs to the brickwork if you struggle to get a really good fixing through the studs) it will replicate any tieing in of the two walls.

Another option, to avoid a lot of mess, is to consider (if it is linteled) leaving the brickwork and put a short section of lower false ceiling in between the existing and enlarged section of the room - a bit like the entrance to most hotel rooms where the ceiling at the entrance is lower to house the aircon, or an old cottage with thick walls.

Whatever you do, don't go near it with a grinder.

As long as your new studwork is securely fixed to both walls (you might consider some small angle brackets to help fix the studs to the brickwork if you struggle to get a really good fixing through the studs) it will replicate any tieing in of the two walls
Reassuring

Another option, to avoid a lot of mess, is to consider (if it is linteled) leaving the brickwork and put a short section of lower false ceiling in between the existing and enlarged section of the room - a bit like the entrance to most hotel rooms where the ceiling at the entrance is lower to house the aircon, or an old cottage with thick walls.
Brilliant idea. I'll need to sell it as a feature to the wifey. Let's hope she bites.

Whatever you do, don't go near it with a grinder.
Ok, no worries. Why not though?

Sponsored Links
The dust is horrendous, and unlike drill dust it's very fine and will coat every surface in your house.

a "H" style frame with infill bricks.
Exactly what I found. Also surprised the infill is breezeblock, as is the dividing wall.

Nice and simple - remove infill, reposition H frame, plasterboard top of frame.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back