Blocking up fireplace

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Morning all - I’m going to be removing my gas fireplace and blocking up the hole soon. Once I’ve got a GSE to cap the pipe, just wanted to check opinions on my method after some research.

I want to block the hole up with thermalite blocks - my main question is, would you bother leaving a gap to put plasterboard on top of this and then plaster, or plaster straight onto the blocks? I wanted to do the former as this seems the ‘proper’ way of doing it but thoughts would be useful.

For the ‘plaster’, I was thinking of using Gyproc Easi Fix rather than plaster, given the small area - I’ve used this before on an area about 1/3 the size of this and it’s so easy to use and sands perfectly if required. Anyone think this is a bad idea?

Finally I’ll be venting the chimney under the floorboards, rather than into the room as don’t want a vent on show.

Sponsored Links
I'd board onto the blocks and skim the board. Thermalite would suck the life out of your skim.

You've covered the vent but also consider fitting a chimney cowl.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the replies, chimney cowl is actually already in place which is lucky.

Good shout on the moisture being sucked out the skim, is not thought of that.

Any serious concerns on going with Gyproc?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back