Bloody Radiator

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Guys :) About 2 weeks ago I removed the bathroom rad in order to plaster behind it, and plaster ceiling ect ect. Now that Ive just finished, Ive just replaced bathroom rad in order for the plastering to dry out. Ive bled every rad in the house and released all air from the system, but.......... now one of the rads in the living room is only heating up along the top of it. Now to be honest, the wife has mentioned a few times that this rad seems to not give alot of heat out ( Ive always ignored her really ) but it is appearing that I should'nt have. Every rad in the house appears to be working fine, except for this one, by the way, it is a maisonette and are all on one level. The rad is hot at the inlet (setting on number 5), is hot at the top, but gets cooler as I run my hand along it. I would say that no hot water is running through this rad, the outlet pipe is hot, but the outlet valve is cold, the rad measures ......1.8m x 0.6m. Just out of curiosity, is it possible that this rad could have been fitted upside down ??? or would'nt it matter ??? .......... as in, is a rad a rad and would do it's job no matter which way up it is fitted ???. To be honest, it was probibly like this before I even removed/replaced the bathroom rad, any answers guys ??? THANKS for reading :confused:

Sponsored Links
Radiator hot at the top but not at the bottom. That's got to be a blockage, most likely along the bottom of the rad that's preventing the water passing up/down the tubes. Why not remove it and flush it out.
:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

close all the other radiators and see if the flow through this one improves (ie it gets nice and hot)

Surely Brumylad that can't be as good as removing the radiator can it? Getting the sediment out of the system is preferred to leaving it there to create another problem.
:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Sponsored Links
Thanks guys :) I'll remove it and flush it out,.............cheers :)

Fourby said:
Hi Guys :) The rad is hot at the inlet (setting on number 5), is hot at the top, but gets cooler as I run my hand along it. I would say that no hot water is running through this rad, ?

Granted MANDATE, but reading the post, I don't think the rad is cool at the bottom, it sounds like there is no flow. So could be a valve closed / stuck or the system not balanced. Flushing it through is a lot of work if the problem is not sediment.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back