bloody rats!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
ugh. Rats have made their way to my house, through the air vents. They have even chewed my ceiling and left a 3 inch hole! How on earth did they manage to crawl up to my ceiling. I can hear the pests when its quiet.

Anything I can do? Thanks.

Sponsored Links
my cat Harry dont take prisoners he spent some of his life in Ahfghanistan so knows about rats / war zones

my other cat Skippy does not want to know

Harry has regular stake outs and goes into full alert mode with the mere hint of a rat

my cat Harry dont take prisoners he spent some of his life in Ahfghanistan so knows about rats / war zones

Now I see what you was on about.

Sponsored Links
Tub up any food to reduce the temptation for them.

Put poison on their routes to kill off the existing rats.

Fit fine wire mesh over the vents to stop new Rats being able to get in. You'll need to kill the existing ones as they'll chew through nearly anything I'd they think there's food.

Poison in bait boxes in the areas you suspect them to be. They may not touch them for a day or two as they are suspicious buggers. Put the boxes in place and wait for about 3 days before inspecting them. If they have taken the bait, re-bait the boxes. Don't check them every day, just every 2-3 days and don't move them around, leave them in the same place. Rats hate it when things change but they won't necessarily move out, they will change their routes.
When you find the bait is no longer being touched, leave it for another week or so. The adults may be dead but there may be some youngsters who haven't found them yet. Good luck with getting rid of them. Filthy vermin.
As a last resort you can call in a pesticide company who will put non-poison bait down first and then come back to see if it has been touched. If it has, they will then put down the poison bait.

Trap and bait, for our recent loft inhabitants the bait was needed to finish them off. Rats can be so suspicious that they might not touch any bait for ages then they'll just start gorge feeding so it sometimes needs a bit of patience.

Harry has regular stake outs and goes into full alert mode with the mere hint of a rat

I had a tabby and white called Harry from the local rescue centre. His previous owners moved and left him behind. Top cat outside and would defend his territory robustly. However behind closed doors he was just a softy. Only cat I've had that I could play football with. Not really interested in hunting though, he realised the tastiest morsels came from his food cupboard or the fridge.

The Pest-Stop mouse killer is very effective. No poison involved and the corpse can be removed and disposed of. No poisoned mice dying and decomposing and making a smell.

I would assume their rat killer is just as effective.

ugh. Rats have made their way to my house, through the air vents. They have even chewed my ceiling and left a 3 inch hole! How on earth did they manage to crawl up to my ceiling. I can hear the pests when its quiet.

Anything I can do? Thanks.

I have seen airbricks that a mouse could get through but (assuming that it isn't broken) not one that a rat could get through.

Are you sure that you don't have squirrels in the loft. I recently had to deal with holes chewed through a wooden soffit for a family friend. I used wire mesh and screws with penny washers to block the entrance hole. It worked.

I have seen airbricks that a mouse could get through but (assuming that it isn't broken) not one that a rat could get through.

Are you sure that you don't have squirrels in the loft. I recently had to deal with holes chewed through a wooden soffit for a family friend. I used wire mesh and screws with penny washers to block the entrance hole. It worked.
Good point there mate.
Will have to check. The question is, how did these pests find their way to my ground floor ceiling? The walls are solid btw, with one stud wall.

Good point there mate.
Will have to check. The question is, how did these pests find their way to my ground floor ceiling? The walls are solid btw, with one stud wall.
No boxing in of pipework between floors?

Sponsored Links
Back