Blotchy varnish

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there.

I did one coat of varnich to a pine worktop and surrounding upstands last night. It was quite tricky around the upstand area and as a result has not gone on in a consistent colour. The finish is quite flat though as I used the Ronseal Perfect finish kit.

So my question is how can I now try and get a consistent colour to the project?

My hamfisted idea was to try and lightly sand the darker areas to try and blend them out a little and then revarnish with a 2nd coat.

Any ideas on how to make this a nice finish would be appreciated.

Alex.

Sponsored Links
Hey foxhole and thanks.

I have freestanding kitchen items of a pine style nature so it's not exactly a worktop. it's an old pie table that has been cut to fit the alcove of my chimney - looks cool as it's an old house so befitting. However the varnish job I attempted has potentially made a mess of it!!!

If its to be used as a worktop in a kitchen it should be oiled not varnished.

Sponsored Links
Thanks.
A bit late for that I guess and I doubt I'd be able to sand it back very easily now I have started.
Oh well I'll try with my cruddy idea of trying to sand to get a better colour balance.
I have oiled the othe furniture and got good results with equal colouring.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back