Blow /Gas torches

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I’m doing up an old car and I need to heat small parts to anneal them. I brought a Mapp (goGas) blow torch to do the job, this worked quite well but now has developed and internal leak.
I tried to fix it by replacing some of the ‘O’ rings, but this hasn’t worked and I’m not prepared to watch my hand go up in a ball of flame!..........none of the blowtorches I have owned have lasted more than a year!!

My question is this......

Without going the whole oxy/acetylene route, would one of those propane torches (Torch - Hose - Big Bottle) have enough clout to heat say a 1” rod red hot??.......and where do you get the propane bottles from/refilled?

Sponsored Links
The standard propane nozzles are the same as those used by flat roofers / felters etc.....refills are readily available from the likes of Calor.
The flame won't be as hot as the Mapp so brazing any large section would be very difficult.....the gas is much cheaper though! Annealing non ferrous material would be fine with it.
John :)

Would it get something like a 10mm steel bolt red hot?

Surfing, I see that they do a go-gas brass torch. I has a piezo trigger thing....I like the trigger ignition, but with my experience I'm wondering if a minimal torch or Plumber type system might mean there is less to go wrong (be more robust!)
Wot do yer fink?

Sponsored Links
10mm steel bolt? No problem at all, a propane torch would easily get that hot enough to braze, especially if you could create a little oven using firebricks as a surround.
My own B&Q Mapp gas torch (Bernzomatic I think but not too sure) had a piezo igniter but thats packed in. Cost 50 quid too :eek:
John :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back