Blowing elements SMEG oven

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We have a SMEG oven which we inherited when we bought the house 7 years ago.
Last week the element failed, and tripped the fuse box. I diagnosed is to faulty element. Bought a new one online and fitted it. It Lasted 30 seconds, and tripped the fuse box again.

Does this suggest faulty wiring? Anybody have any suggestions.

I'm very handy with DIY - but my electrical knowledge is scant.

Thanks in advance
SP

Sponsored Links
Perhaps the original fault wasn't the element that was replaced but another one?
It might be something as simple as the connection to the wall behind the oven, worth checking that.

Perhaps the original fault wasn't the element that was replaced but another one?
It might be something as simple as the connection to the wall behind the oven, worth checking that.
That was my thought. It could be a number of over things that have caused this situation. It is not unknown for two elements to trip the power, but dodgy elements tend to trip the RCD/RCBO, if RCD protections exists?
But could be a number of things, from oven components to fixed wiring.

Sponsored Links
RCD controlled curcuits.
Looking at this photograph you'll see that the OVEN circuit has been tripped.
Thank you for the replies.
SP

Attachments

• IMG_7622.JPG
    IMG_7622.JPG
    148.2 KB · Views: 402
The tripped device is a 30 mA RCBO ( MCB and RCD in one device ) so earth leakage in the element(s) and / or wiring is possibly the reason for the trip.

that the earth is making a good connection
There has to be an earth connection for the Live to leak to Earth and thus cause the RCD to trip. Hence you have an Earth connection.

An RCD compares the current on the Live with the current on the Neutral, they should be the same but in opposite directions. If there is a fault that allows some current to leak to Earth then the currents through the RCD will not be the same and if the leakage is 30 mA or more ( 1 mA = 0.001 of an Amp ) then the RCD will trip.

I would isolate circuit, take the back off the oven and disconnect all the heating elements, make safe ends of element wires. Then see if the RCBO can be reset.
If it does reset, then one by one connect the elements, isolating accordingly at each stage.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back